London City Airport Is Closed Because of a World War II Bomb
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
London City Airport (LCY) remains closed on Monday, with all flights canceled, following the discovery of a World War II bomb nearby the airport in the River Thames. Airport officials have confirmed that the airport will remain closed all day while the unexploded bomb is removed.
The closure is expected to affect up to 16,000 passengers on a total of 261 arrival and departures that were scheduled to operate through LCY on Monday. Passengers are being advised not to come to the airport on Monday, but instead to contact their airline for further information.
The bomb was discovered at George V Dock on Sunday during planned work at the airport. After locating the bomb, the airport was officially shut at 10:00pm local time on Sunday. As reported by BBC, the Met Police said that it was working with the Royal Navy to remove the bomb. About a 700-foot exclusion zone has been established by where the bomb was found, which will likely be expanded as the removal process begins.
The airport closure has caused issues for both to-be departed flights, as well as those that were already en route. For example, British Airways’ all-business-class A318, which departed from New York (JFK) bound for LCY, was diverted to London Gatwick (LGW).
Other airlines are taking to rebooking passengers on other London-bound or departing flights from airports other than LCY. For example, Alitalia tweeted that four of its flights (AZ212, AZ211, AZ216 and AZ215) will now depart from London’s Stansted Airport (STN). The carrier is still recommending that passengers check the status of their flight before heading to the airport.
Other airlines that fly to LCY include British Airways, Flybe, KLM, Lufthansa, Swiss and TAP Portugal, among some smaller regional airlines. British Airways, Flybe and Swiss are all advising passengers to contact their respective airline for alternate travel plans.
Although not the largest of London’s airports, LCY transported 4.5 million passengers last year.
Featured image by NurPhoto/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees