This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A “serious accident” involving two vehicles on the airfield has reportedly caused delays at London’s Heathrow Airport (LHR).
As reported by The Telegraph, around 8:00am local time, emergency crews were called to the scene of an accident at LHR’s Terminal 5. Two vehicles on the airfield reportedly crashed, injuring two staff members. One man has been taken to a West London hospital, and another man was treated at the scene.
In a statement, Heathrow said, “We are dealing with a serious accident involving two vehicles on the airfield. We are working closely with the emergency services and updates will follow. The airfield remains open and we will work to minimize disruption to our passengers’ journeys.”
There have been more than 20 delays in the hours following the incident — the majority of which from Terminal 5, where the incident occurred. Reports have also indicated that some passengers have been evacuated. In addition, some passengers have taken to social media to express confusion and frustration.
On Twitter, LHR informed a questioning passenger that there had been an incident, but it isn’t expected to cause delays.
British Airways confirmed that a number of stands at T5 are inaccessible, which is causing delays.
A Metropolitan Police spokesperson said that there have been no arrests and officers from the Serious Collision Investigation Unit have been informed and are in attendance.
If you’re traveling through LHR on Wednesday, it’ll be best to check with your airline before heading to the airport.
Featured image by Barcroft Media / Getty Images.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees