This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A “serious accident” involving two vehicles on the airfield has reportedly caused delays at London’s Heathrow Airport (LHR).
As reported by The Telegraph, around 8:00am local time, emergency crews were called to the scene of an accident at LHR’s Terminal 5. Two vehicles on the airfield reportedly crashed, injuring two staff members. One man has been taken to a West London hospital, and another man was treated at the scene.
In a statement, Heathrow said, “We are dealing with a serious accident involving two vehicles on the airfield. We are working closely with the emergency services and updates will follow. The airfield remains open and we will work to minimize disruption to our passengers’ journeys.”
There have been more than 20 delays in the hours following the incident — the majority of which from Terminal 5, where the incident occurred. Reports have also indicated that some passengers have been evacuated. In addition, some passengers have taken to social media to express confusion and frustration.
On Twitter, LHR informed a questioning passenger that there had been an incident, but it isn’t expected to cause delays.
British Airways confirmed that a number of stands at T5 are inaccessible, which is causing delays.
A Metropolitan Police spokesperson said that there have been no arrests and officers from the Serious Collision Investigation Unit have been informed and are in attendance.
If you’re traveling through LHR on Wednesday, it’ll be best to check with your airline before heading to the airport.
Featured image by Barcroft Media / Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees