This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A “serious accident” involving two vehicles on the airfield has reportedly caused delays at London’s Heathrow Airport (LHR).
As reported by The Telegraph, around 8:00am local time, emergency crews were called to the scene of an accident at LHR’s Terminal 5. Two vehicles on the airfield reportedly crashed, injuring two staff members. One man has been taken to a West London hospital, and another man was treated at the scene.
In a statement, Heathrow said, “We are dealing with a serious accident involving two vehicles on the airfield. We are working closely with the emergency services and updates will follow. The airfield remains open and we will work to minimize disruption to our passengers’ journeys.”
There have been more than 20 delays in the hours following the incident — the majority of which from Terminal 5, where the incident occurred. Reports have also indicated that some passengers have been evacuated. In addition, some passengers have taken to social media to express confusion and frustration.
On Twitter, LHR informed a questioning passenger that there had been an incident, but it isn’t expected to cause delays.
British Airways confirmed that a number of stands at T5 are inaccessible, which is causing delays.
A Metropolitan Police spokesperson said that there have been no arrests and officers from the Serious Collision Investigation Unit have been informed and are in attendance.
If you’re traveling through LHR on Wednesday, it’ll be best to check with your airline before heading to the airport.
Featured image by Barcroft Media / Getty Images.
This cash back card has a focus on dining and entertainment where you can earn unlimited 4% cash back in those spending categories. You can also earn 2% cash back at grocery stores and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Earn a one-time $500 cash bonus after you spend $3000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn unlimited 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases
- No rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards; plus cash back won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how much you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- Access to premium experiences in dining, entertainment and more
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, $95 after that