‘Serious Accident’ Between Two Vehicles at London Heathrow Causes Delays
A “serious accident” involving two vehicles on the airfield has reportedly caused delays at London’s Heathrow Airport (LHR).
As reported by The Telegraph, around 8:00am local time, emergency crews were called to the scene of an accident at LHR’s Terminal 5. Two vehicles on the airfield reportedly crashed, injuring two staff members. One man has been taken to a West London hospital, and another man was treated at the scene.
In a statement, Heathrow said, “We are dealing with a serious accident involving two vehicles on the airfield. We are working closely with the emergency services and updates will follow. The airfield remains open and we will work to minimize disruption to our passengers’ journeys.”
There have been more than 20 delays in the hours following the incident — the majority of which from Terminal 5, where the incident occurred. Reports have also indicated that some passengers have been evacuated. In addition, some passengers have taken to social media to express confusion and frustration.
On Twitter, LHR informed a questioning passenger that there had been an incident, but it isn’t expected to cause delays.
British Airways confirmed that a number of stands at T5 are inaccessible, which is causing delays.
A Metropolitan Police spokesperson said that there have been no arrests and officers from the Serious Collision Investigation Unit have been informed and are in attendance.
If you’re traveling through LHR on Wednesday, it’ll be best to check with your airline before heading to the airport.
Featured image by Barcroft Media / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees