‘Serious Accident’ Between Two Vehicles at London Heathrow Causes Delays
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A “serious accident” involving two vehicles on the airfield has reportedly caused delays at London’s Heathrow Airport (LHR).
As reported by The Telegraph, around 8:00am local time, emergency crews were called to the scene of an accident at LHR’s Terminal 5. Two vehicles on the airfield reportedly crashed, injuring two staff members. One man has been taken to a West London hospital, and another man was treated at the scene.
In a statement, Heathrow said, “We are dealing with a serious accident involving two vehicles on the airfield. We are working closely with the emergency services and updates will follow. The airfield remains open and we will work to minimize disruption to our passengers’ journeys.”
There have been more than 20 delays in the hours following the incident — the majority of which from Terminal 5, where the incident occurred. Reports have also indicated that some passengers have been evacuated. In addition, some passengers have taken to social media to express confusion and frustration.
On Twitter, LHR informed a questioning passenger that there had been an incident, but it isn’t expected to cause delays.
British Airways confirmed that a number of stands at T5 are inaccessible, which is causing delays.
A Metropolitan Police spokesperson said that there have been no arrests and officers from the Serious Collision Investigation Unit have been informed and are in attendance.
If you’re traveling through LHR on Wednesday, it’ll be best to check with your airline before heading to the airport.
Featured image by Barcroft Media / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.