After Plane Goes Off Runway, Dozens Manually Push Aircraft to Gate
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Garuda Indonesia Flight GA460 landed Thursday at Tambolaka Airport (TMC) in the East Nusa Tenggara province of Indonesia — but missed the turn onto the apron by a small margin of error, leaving the plane stranded.
A Twitter user shared an image of the Bombardier CRJ1000 being manually pushed back on the runway Thursday.
“After the plane landed, it should have turned left towards the apron. The plane missed [the turn] slightly,” said Ikhsan Rosan, Garuda Indonesia’s senior manager for public relations. “There was no pushback [tractor] available, which is the thing that pushes and tugs airplanes back. So it was pushed by technicians and employees at the airport,” he said.
Garuda Indonesia Flight GA460 operates nonstop service several times weekly between Bali’s Ngurah Rai International Airport (DPS) and Tambolaka.
Despite the mishap, Indonesia’s flag carrier maintains a five-star rating from global airline reviews and rankings site Skytrax. In fact, the renewal award was presented to Garuda Indonesia president director Pahala N. Mansury at the 2018 Singapore Airshow on the same day as the runway incident.
Only 10 airlines out of 200 airlines reviewed received a five-star rating from Skytrax. The nine other carriers are Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific, EVA Air, Qatar Airways, Etihad, Asiana Airline, All Nippon Airlines, Hainan Airlines and Lufthansa.
It’s been an eventful few weeks for planes and runways: a Southwest plane skidded on the taxiway before departure in Baltimore on Wednesday, and a Turkish plane slid off the runway down a cliff after landing back in January.
Featured photo courtesy of @ngabdul
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.