This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Garuda Indonesia Flight GA460 landed Thursday at Tambolaka Airport (TMC) in the East Nusa Tenggara province of Indonesia — but missed the turn onto the apron by a small margin of error, leaving the plane stranded.
A Twitter user shared an image of the Bombardier CRJ1000 being manually pushed back on the runway Thursday.
“After the plane landed, it should have turned left towards the apron. The plane missed [the turn] slightly,” said Ikhsan Rosan, Garuda Indonesia’s senior manager for public relations. “There was no pushback [tractor] available, which is the thing that pushes and tugs airplanes back. So it was pushed by technicians and employees at the airport,” he said.
Garuda Indonesia Flight GA460 operates nonstop service several times weekly between Bali’s Ngurah Rai International Airport (DPS) and Tambolaka.
Despite the mishap, Indonesia’s flag carrier maintains a five-star rating from global airline reviews and rankings site Skytrax. In fact, the renewal award was presented to Garuda Indonesia president director Pahala N. Mansury at the 2018 Singapore Airshow on the same day as the runway incident.
Only 10 airlines out of 200 airlines reviewed received a five-star rating from Skytrax. The nine other carriers are Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific, EVA Air, Qatar Airways, Etihad, Asiana Airline, All Nippon Airlines, Hainan Airlines and Lufthansa.
It’s been an eventful few weeks for planes and runways: a Southwest plane skidded on the taxiway before departure in Baltimore on Wednesday, and a Turkish plane slid off the runway down a cliff after landing back in January.
Featured photo courtesy of @ngabdul
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees