This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Garuda Indonesia Flight GA460 landed Thursday at Tambolaka Airport (TMC) in the East Nusa Tenggara province of Indonesia — but missed the turn onto the apron by a small margin of error, leaving the plane stranded.
A Twitter user shared an image of the Bombardier CRJ1000 being manually pushed back on the runway Thursday.
“After the plane landed, it should have turned left towards the apron. The plane missed [the turn] slightly,” said Ikhsan Rosan, Garuda Indonesia’s senior manager for public relations. “There was no pushback [tractor] available, which is the thing that pushes and tugs airplanes back. So it was pushed by technicians and employees at the airport,” he said.
Garuda Indonesia Flight GA460 operates nonstop service several times weekly between Bali’s Ngurah Rai International Airport (DPS) and Tambolaka.
Despite the mishap, Indonesia’s flag carrier maintains a five-star rating from global airline reviews and rankings site Skytrax. In fact, the renewal award was presented to Garuda Indonesia president director Pahala N. Mansury at the 2018 Singapore Airshow on the same day as the runway incident.
Only 10 airlines out of 200 airlines reviewed received a five-star rating from Skytrax. The nine other carriers are Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific, EVA Air, Qatar Airways, Etihad, Asiana Airline, All Nippon Airlines, Hainan Airlines and Lufthansa.
It’s been an eventful few weeks for planes and runways: a Southwest plane skidded on the taxiway before departure in Baltimore on Wednesday, and a Turkish plane slid off the runway down a cliff after landing back in January.
Featured photo courtesy of @ngabdul
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees