This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s the part of any flight that almost every passenger enjoys: ordering an in-flight beverage. But just how many drinks does it take to quench all those thirsty passengers?
According to new numbers released from Oneworld Alliance, it served roughly 30 million bottles of wine and 2.5 million bottles of Champagne last year alone.
Oneworld, which was just voted the best airline alliance for in-flight wine for the ninth time by Business Traveller, released some other drink statistics to raise a glass to:
- Finnair served one million liters of blueberry juice, which is its signature drink.
- Qantas is the third largest buyer of wine in all of Australia.
- Cathay Pacific brews its own signature beer, Betsy, which was crafted to be enjoyed at 36,000 feet.
- British Airways has its own signature gin.
Also scooping up awards for in-flight wine was Oneworld’s Qantas for Best First Class White, Best First Class Cellar and Best Business Class Fortified/Dessert Wine; Cathay Pacific and Malaysia Airlines both received the gold medal for Best First Class Sparkling.
The awards, announced yesterday, February 20, following a blind tasting done by four leading experts of hundreds of wines served on long-haul flights by 32 airlines from around the world.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees