Etihad Cuts Chauffeur Service on Premium Award Tickets
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you were excited about riding in one of Etihad’s chauffeured Mercedes-Benz vehicles before your next premium-cabin flight, check your ticket. As of April 1, Etihad will no longer offer complimentary chauffeur service for first- and business-class award passengers traveling to and from Abu Dhabi International Airport (AUH).
This is the latest in a string of devaluations to Etihad’s customer experience. Back in 2016, the airline eliminated chauffeur service for all award travel booked through partner airlines. And before July 2017, first- and business-class passengers could receive door-to-door chauffeur service between any Etihad airport and their destination — now, the service has been eliminated everywhere except for its home base in Abu Dhabi.
With this latest move, passengers traveling on award tickets will no longer enjoy the full Etihad experience that was previously expected with premium fare classes. In recent years, the carrier has also terminated or suspended a number of routes to and from the US, citing issues with alliance partners or other obstacles.
Travelers flying in the Residence, however, will still receive complimentary chauffeur pick-ups and drop-offs at all A380 destinations, according to Etihad. Too bad they’re so difficult to score. While the this latest devaluation will be a disappointment for travelers, Etihad still has a lot to offer for its premium customers, including some of the best beds in the skies.
Featured image by Etihad Airways.
H/T: One Mile At a Time
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.