This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you were excited about riding in one of Etihad’s chauffeured Mercedes-Benz vehicles before your next premium-cabin flight, check your ticket. As of April 1, Etihad will no longer offer complimentary chauffeur service for first- and business-class award passengers traveling to and from Abu Dhabi International Airport (AUH).
This is the latest in a string of devaluations to Etihad’s customer experience. Back in 2016, the airline eliminated chauffeur service for all award travel booked through partner airlines. And before July 2017, first- and business-class passengers could receive door-to-door chauffeur service between any Etihad airport and their destination — now, the service has been eliminated everywhere except for its home base in Abu Dhabi.
With this latest move, passengers traveling on award tickets will no longer enjoy the full Etihad experience that was previously expected with premium fare classes. In recent years, the carrier has also terminated or suspended a number of routes to and from the US, citing issues with alliance partners or other obstacles.
Travelers flying in the Residence, however, will still receive complimentary chauffeur pick-ups and drop-offs at all A380 destinations, according to Etihad. Too bad they’re so difficult to score. While the this latest devaluation will be a disappointment for travelers, Etihad still has a lot to offer for its premium customers, including some of the best beds in the skies.
Featured image by Etihad Airways.
H/T: One Mile At a Time
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards