Emirates Reportedly Kicked Passengers Off Flight for Menstrual Cramps
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
After boarding their intended flight from Birmingham Airport in England to Dubai on Saturday, February 17, Beth Evans said she told her boyfriend, Joshua Moran, that she was experiencing abdominal pain from menstrual cramps. Evans told The Sun that a flight attendant who heard the couple discussing her discomfort was worried that her situation could be a cause for concern during the duration of the seven-hour international flight.
There were no doctors onboard the A380, and Evans claimed that her pain was minimal at a “one out of 10.” But the crew still insisted that the couple should deplane and take a different flight.
“To be kicked off for period pains, it was madness,” Moran told Travel + Leisure. “They didn’t have anyone look her over. They just contacted a medical team in the U.S., and they said Beth couldn’t fly.”
Representatives of Emirates said that they removed the couple out of an abundance of caution, and that they didn’t want Evans’ situation to get worse once in the air.
“We can confirm that Ms. Beth Evans deplaned flight EK40 on Saturday, February 17, due to a medical emergency,” an Emirates representative told Travel + Leisure. “The passenger alerted the crew onboard that she was suffering from discomfort and pain and mentioned she was feeling unwell.”
The representative went on to note that the captain ultimately made the decision to request medical assistance for the passenger. “We would not have wanted to endanger Ms. Evans by delaying medical help,” the representative added.
According to the World Health Organization, airlines have the right to refuse transport to passengers who they believe could have a medical condition that could get worse once in the air.
The couple paid about $560 for each ticket to Dubai, and they told The Sun that they had to pay an additional $350 each to rebook their flights.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees