This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An American Airlines flight departing from Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) on Wednesday, January 31, experienced a disturbance onboard as the plane began its descent into Charlotte, NC. A passenger onboard, who was seated in the rear of the plane, reportedly charged towards the cockpit from her seat and attacked three airline crew members during the flight after being restrained.
Charlene Sarieann Harriott, 36, was arrested after landing in Charlotte. The crew was seated and preparing for descent when Harriott jumped out of her seat and ran down the aisle. Flight attendants ordered Harriott to go back to her seat. She ignored the crew’s instructions and the flight attendants were forced to chase her down the aisle.
After the crew got hold of Harriott, they restrained her with duct tape and zip ties in the first-class cabin. But that only stopped Harriott briefly — she then became extremely aggressive and “physically violent toward the flight crew,” according to The Charlotte Observer. Harriott bit one of the flight attendants on the arm causing bleeding. She kicked another flight attendant in the leg and abdomen and hit a third crew member. All three were taken to the onsite American Airlines clinic for treatment after disembarking.
The FBI has charged Harriott with three counts of assault and battery for interfering with the flight crew. She is being held in jail in Charlotte. According to The Observer, a federal judge ordered her to remain in custody until a detention hearing next week.
Featured image by John Gress / Getty Images
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees