Don’t Do What This Woman Did on a Plane if You Don’t Want to Get Zip-Tied
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An American Airlines flight departing from Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) on Wednesday, January 31, experienced a disturbance onboard as the plane began its descent into Charlotte, NC. A passenger onboard, who was seated in the rear of the plane, reportedly charged towards the cockpit from her seat and attacked three airline crew members during the flight after being restrained.
Charlene Sarieann Harriott, 36, was arrested after landing in Charlotte. The crew was seated and preparing for descent when Harriott jumped out of her seat and ran down the aisle. Flight attendants ordered Harriott to go back to her seat. She ignored the crew’s instructions and the flight attendants were forced to chase her down the aisle.
After the crew got hold of Harriott, they restrained her with duct tape and zip ties in the first-class cabin. But that only stopped Harriott briefly — she then became extremely aggressive and “physically violent toward the flight crew,” according to The Charlotte Observer. Harriott bit one of the flight attendants on the arm causing bleeding. She kicked another flight attendant in the leg and abdomen and hit a third crew member. All three were taken to the onsite American Airlines clinic for treatment after disembarking.
The FBI has charged Harriott with three counts of assault and battery for interfering with the flight crew. She is being held in jail in Charlotte. According to The Observer, a federal judge ordered her to remain in custody until a detention hearing next week.
Featured image by John Gress / Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees