Don’t Do What This Woman Did on a Plane if You Don’t Want to Get Zip-Tied
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An American Airlines flight departing from Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) on Wednesday, January 31, experienced a disturbance onboard as the plane began its descent into Charlotte, NC. A passenger onboard, who was seated in the rear of the plane, reportedly charged towards the cockpit from her seat and attacked three airline crew members during the flight after being restrained.
Charlene Sarieann Harriott, 36, was arrested after landing in Charlotte. The crew was seated and preparing for descent when Harriott jumped out of her seat and ran down the aisle. Flight attendants ordered Harriott to go back to her seat. She ignored the crew’s instructions and the flight attendants were forced to chase her down the aisle.
After the crew got hold of Harriott, they restrained her with duct tape and zip ties in the first-class cabin. But that only stopped Harriott briefly — she then became extremely aggressive and “physically violent toward the flight crew,” according to The Charlotte Observer. Harriott bit one of the flight attendants on the arm causing bleeding. She kicked another flight attendant in the leg and abdomen and hit a third crew member. All three were taken to the onsite American Airlines clinic for treatment after disembarking.
The FBI has charged Harriott with three counts of assault and battery for interfering with the flight crew. She is being held in jail in Charlotte. According to The Observer, a federal judge ordered her to remain in custody until a detention hearing next week.
Featured image by John Gress / Getty Images
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees