This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Citi Prestige Card
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
The Hawaii fare sale continues, with round-trip tickets on a variety of carriers starting at $391 from a number of cities across the continental US. The greatest availability seems to be from now through May, and then again from August through December 2018. No tricks needed to find these airfares — just find the dates you want by searching with Google Flights, then book on Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline itself.
Airline: American, United
Routes: OKC/ELP/FLL/MKE/BNA/BOS/RDU/SAT to HNL/OGG
Cost: $391+ round-trip in economy class
Dates: February-May and August-December 2018
Booking Link: Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide)
We tested a number of different airports that weren’t included in yesterday’s similar deal. Here are a few examples of what you can book:
El Paso (ELP) to Maui (OGG) in April for $391 round-trip on American:
Oklahoma City (OKC) to Honolulu (HNL) in May for $393 round-trip on United:
San Antonio (SAT) to Maui (OGG) for $414 round-trip in March on American:
Raleigh-Durham to Honolulu for $424 round-trip in April on United Airlines:
Nashville (BNA) to Honolulu (HNL) for $474 round-trip on United:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
H/T: The Flight Deal
Featured photo by @codykliu via Twenty20
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees