This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
The Hawaii fare sale continues, with round-trip tickets on a variety of carriers starting at $391 from a number of cities across the continental US. The greatest availability seems to be from now through May, and then again from August through December 2018. No tricks needed to find these airfares — just find the dates you want by searching with Google Flights, then book on Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline itself.
Airline: American, United
Routes: OKC/ELP/FLL/MKE/BNA/BOS/RDU/SAT to HNL/OGG
Cost: $391+ round-trip in economy class
Dates: February-May and August-December 2018
Booking Link: Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
We tested a number of different airports that weren’t included in yesterday’s similar deal. Here are a few examples of what you can book:
El Paso (ELP) to Maui (OGG) in April for $391 round-trip on American:
Oklahoma City (OKC) to Honolulu (HNL) in May for $393 round-trip on United:
San Antonio (SAT) to Maui (OGG) for $414 round-trip in March on American:
Raleigh-Durham to Honolulu for $424 round-trip in April on United Airlines:
Nashville (BNA) to Honolulu (HNL) for $474 round-trip on United:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express Premier Rewards Gold or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
H/T: The Flight Deal
Featured photo by @codykliu via Twenty20
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards