This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
As the TPG team experienced a month ago, Puerto Rico is open for tourism. When we went, we were pleasantly surprised to find it in much better condition than we expected. It also helped that we were leaving below freezing temperatures in New York and 40-degree weather in Florida for temperatures in the 80s in Puerto Rico.
While recovery is ongoing on some parts of the island, other areas are open for business and need tourism to get back to normal. So, why not escape the cold for the warm beaches, lively culture and history of San Juan?
Today, we’re finding eight departure airports with flights to San Juan (SJU) between $157 and $257 round-trip. You might be able to find cheaper fares on Spirit or Frontier, but we focused our search on full-service carriers such as JetBlue, American Airlines, United and Delta.
Airline: JetBlue, American, United, Delta
Routes: FLL/MCO/MIA/EWR/JFK/DCA/IAD/BOS to SJU
Cost: $157+ round-trip in economy
Dates: February to June, depending on the route
Booking Link: Expedia, Priceline or with the airline directly
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to San Juan (SJU) for $157 round-trip nonstop on JetBlue:
Orlando (MCO) to San Juan (SJU) for $177 round-trip nonstop on JetBlue:
Miami (MIA) to San Juan (SJU) for $191 round-trip nonstop on American:
Newark (EWR) to San Juan (SJU) for $237 round-trip nonstop on JetBlue:
New York’s JFK to San Juan (SJU) for $237 round-trip nonstop on JetBlue:
Washington National (DCA) to San Juan (SJU) for $257 round-trip nonstop on JetBlue:
Boston (BOS) to San Juan (SJU) for $250 round-trip on Delta:
Washington Dulles (IAD) to San Juan (SJU) for $257 round-trip nonstop on United:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image from dennisvdw/Getty Images.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees