Anbang, Owner of Waldorf Astoria New York, Seized by Chinese Government
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Anbang purchased the Waldorf Astoria New York from Hilton in 2014 in a noteworthy deal. Now, the Chinese insurance giant has been seized by the Chinese government, and the company’s former chairman has been charged with “economic crimes.”
Over the last few years, the Beijing-based holding company made a series of high profile real estate purchases, including the acquisition of the properties like the Westin St. Francis and Fairmont Chicago. Anbang even attempted to purchase Starwood Hotels in 2016 but pulled out of the deal, leaving Marriott to purchase the hotel chain.
So now, the Chinese government technically “owns” the Waldorf Astoria New York. Anbang will be overseen by China’s central bank and a series of other government agencies for the next year.
Anbang paid nearly $2 billion for the legendary New York hotel, which has housed celebrities, presidents and other world leaders. The hotel has been closed since early 2017 for a project to turn 1400 rooms into apartments and refurbish other parts of the property.
The number of high dollar deals had the Chinese government worried, which lead to the takeover of Anbang on Friday. CNN reports that the Chinese government took control of Anbang because “illegal management and operation activities” were putting the business at risk. But, the authorities didn’t describe any details of the activities.
Anbang’s former chairman, Wu Xiaohui, was indicted by Shanghai prosecutors for “fraudulent fund-raising and improperly taking company assets.” Anbang had been the subject of an investigation since June 2017.
H/T: The New York Times
Featured image courtesy of Gordon Bell / Shutterstock.com.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees