Power Outage at Amsterdam Airport Grounds KLM Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Europe’s third-largest airport — Amsterdam’s Schiphol (AMS) — is experiencing a power outage which has resulted in many KLM flights being grounded Wednesday evening. This outage is affecting not only airport operations, but also took the airline’s service centers offline. The airline notes that “at the moment it is not clear when the disruption will be fully solved.”
According to the latest update on KLM’s website, the Dutch flag carrier’s service centers are now back online and can be accessed both online and over the phone. The airline states that it has canceled seven flights so far, but more flights could still be canceled. In addition to those confirmed cancellations, FlightAware’s cancellation tracking page shows 153 KLM flight delays at AMS through 5:36pm Central European Time (11:36am Eastern Time).
Passengers who booked flights through Delta and are flying to, from or through AMS have an opportunity to change their flights due to this outage:
- Travel date: February 28
- Airport covered: Amsterdam (AMS)
- Ticket must be reissued on or before: March 7
- Rebooked travel must begin no later than: March 7
- When rescheduled travel occurs beyond March 7, the change fee will be waived. However, a difference in fare may apply. Final travel must be completed by end of ticket validity, one year from date of original issue.
- If travel is not able to be rescheduled within these guidelines, customers may cancel their reservation and apply any unused value of the ticket toward the purchase of a new ticket for a period of one year from the original ticket issuance. Applicable change fee and fare difference will apply for new travel dates. Final travel must be completed by end of ticket validity.
In addition, Delta also has issued a weather travel waiver for Paris for flights Thursday.
Those who booked flights through KLM to, from or through Amsterdam on Wednesday can utilize KLM’s flight change waiver instead.
Featured image by NurPhoto / Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.