Power Outage at Amsterdam Airport Grounds KLM Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Europe’s third-largest airport — Amsterdam’s Schiphol (AMS) — is experiencing a power outage which has resulted in many KLM flights being grounded Wednesday evening. This outage is affecting not only airport operations, but also took the airline’s service centers offline. The airline notes that “at the moment it is not clear when the disruption will be fully solved.”
According to the latest update on KLM’s website, the Dutch flag carrier’s service centers are now back online and can be accessed both online and over the phone. The airline states that it has canceled seven flights so far, but more flights could still be canceled. In addition to those confirmed cancellations, FlightAware’s cancellation tracking page shows 153 KLM flight delays at AMS through 5:36pm Central European Time (11:36am Eastern Time).
Passengers who booked flights through Delta and are flying to, from or through AMS have an opportunity to change their flights due to this outage:
- Travel date: February 28
- Airport covered: Amsterdam (AMS)
- Ticket must be reissued on or before: March 7
- Rebooked travel must begin no later than: March 7
- When rescheduled travel occurs beyond March 7, the change fee will be waived. However, a difference in fare may apply. Final travel must be completed by end of ticket validity, one year from date of original issue.
- If travel is not able to be rescheduled within these guidelines, customers may cancel their reservation and apply any unused value of the ticket toward the purchase of a new ticket for a period of one year from the original ticket issuance. Applicable change fee and fare difference will apply for new travel dates. Final travel must be completed by end of ticket validity.
In addition, Delta also has issued a weather travel waiver for Paris for flights Thursday.
Those who booked flights through KLM to, from or through Amsterdam on Wednesday can utilize KLM’s flight change waiver instead.
Featured image by NurPhoto / Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees