This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
TPG readers have received a targeted American Express promotion offering a 10-30% bonus for transferring Membership Rewards points to JetBlue.
The standard transfer rate between Amex and JetBlue is 250 Membership Rewards points for 200 TrueBlue points. However, folks are seeing three tiers of targeted bonus offers:
- 30% bonus (250 Amex MR : 260 JetBlue TrueBlue)
- 20% bonus (250 Amex MR : 240 JetBlue TrueBlue)
- 10% bonus (250 Amex MR : 220 JetBlue TrueBlue)
- No bonus (250 Amex MR : 200 JetBlue TrueBlue)
Some of our TPG Lounge members shared screenshots of their targeted promotion rates. For instance, Michele J. received the coveted 30% transfer promotion rate at 250 Amex points to 260 JetBlue points:
TPG Lounge member Brittany C. received a 250:240 transfer rate, or a 20% bonus:
Brittany mentioned having around 100,000 Membership Rewards points in her account, but she has never transferred to JetBlue in the past. This fact led fellow TPG Lounge member Kyle H. to speculate that “This seems to be an offer to get people to add JetBlue, possibly with a sliding scale [based on] number of points.”
This isn’t the first bonus offer American Express has run for JetBlue transfers. The card company ran a 25% promotion twice in 2017, and has offered a 30% promotion before as well. In his most recent monthly valuations, TPG pegs Membership Rewards points as being worth 1.9 cents each, while JetBlue TrueBlue points are only worth 1.3 cents each. So even with the top 30% transfer bonus, this offer wouldn’t be the best use of Amex points, but it might make sense if you have a stash of existing JetBlue points and you’re topping off for an award redemption.
Don’t have a lot of Membership Rewards points? You can earn them with a number of Amex credit cards, such as the Platinum Card from American Express, the Amex Everyday Credit Card from American Express and the Blue Business Plus Credit Card from American Express, just to name a few. Check out our guide on “Choosing the Best American Express Card for You” if you’re not sure where to start.
If you’re one of the lucky targeted customers, the promotion is valid until March 25, 2018. The minimum transfer amount is 250 MR points, and remember that Amex charges a fee of $0.0006 per point for transfers to domestic points and miles programs, with a maximum of $99 per transfer.
H/T: Doctor of Credit
Featured photo by Eric Helgas for The Points Guy.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), up to a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees