American Express Is Targeting Select Cardholders for Upgraded Offers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Hilton Honors Ascend Card from American Express, Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express, Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express
American Express is targeting some of its cardholders for an upgraded offer, complete with additional bonus points. Some users on Reddit are reporting that they’re seeing upgraded offers for a number of cards, but most seem to be for the Hilton Honors portfolio of cards.
If you’re targeted for an upgrade offer on any of your existing Amex cards, you’ll be eligible for a “sign-up bonus” of sorts, as well as receiving the card with no hard credit pull. But keep in mind that in most cases, you’ll still have to pay the annual fee on the upgraded card.
As Doctor of Credit mentions, these are the two most common upgrade offers currently being circulated by Amex:
- Hilton Honors Card ⇒ Hilton Honors Ascend Card from American Express
- Earn a bonus of 75,000 Honors points after spending $2,000 in the first three months of upgrading. The $95 annual fee of the Ascend Card is not waived.
- Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express ⇒ Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express
- Earn a bonus of $150 after spending $2,000 within the firs three months of upgrading. The $95 annual fee of the Blue Cash Preferred is also waived.
If you were targeted, you should have received an offer in an email from American Express. Double check your inbox and spam folder to make sure the offer didn’t get lost. Also note that the issuer is known to offer upgrades on other cards not mentioned above. It could also be worth calling Amex to see if you’re eligible for an upgrade.
You can also check manually on the American Express website to see if you’re targeted. Here’s how:
- Go to americanexpress.com and log in to your account
- Click the Menu option in the top left corner and select Cards
- Finally, select the View All Personal Charge & Credit Cards
- If one of your cards was eligible for an upgrade, you should see the offer listed on that page.
Upgrade offers can be extremely valuable, as they reward you with bonus points without a hard pull on your credit account. Even if you didn’t get an email offer, it could be worth checking with Amex directly to see if you’re eligible.