Alaska Airlines to Offer Free Vino on National Drink Wine Day
Alaska Airlines already has an popular incentive for wine drinkers who participate in the airline’s frequent flyer program, Mileage Plan; travelers can check a case of wine for free from select West Coast cities. Now, the airline is extending the program to include more cities in California, Idaho, Oregon and Washington State. To help ring in the launch of the new locales, Alaska Airlines is offering a free glass of wine to passengers (21 and older) on select flights this Sunday, February 18 — which also happens to be National Drink Wine Day.
With the expansion of the Wine Flies Free program, there are now 29 cities on the list, all with close proximity to vineyards and winemakers on the West Coast. Many wineries do not ship cases of wine directly to consumers because of restrictions and it often becomes very costly to do so. The airline’s Wine Flies Free program, which launched in 2007, hopes to alleviate winos’ woes by allowing Mileage Plan members to check up to 12 bottles of wine on their flights.
“Wine and food are huge passion points for travelers when choosing their next travel destination,” said Natalie Bowman, Alaska Airlines’ managing director of marketing and advertising in a press release. “Our Wine Flies Free program makes it easier for our guests to experience some of the country’s best wine regions and take their favorite wines home. We look forward to toasting our guests in-flight on National Drink Wine Day, and continuing to work with our partners to welcome visitors to these premier wine destinations that we serve.”
Alaska Airlines is working closely with regional associations, wineries and marketing organizations to promote their Wine Flies Free program throughout the wine regions on the West Coast.
The following cities are now eligible for the Wine Flies Free program:
- Orange County
- Palm Springs
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- San Jose
- San Luis Obispo
- Santa Barbara
- Sanata Rose
- Walla Walla
Featured photo by Chalabala/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees