Saudi Arabia Is Allowing an Israel-Bound Flight to Use Its Airspace
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In a shocking decision by Saudi Arabia, the country has granted one Israel-bound flight the approval to use Saudi airspace. Air India is set to launch a nonstop route between Delhi (DEL) and Tel Aviv (TLV) in March, and Saudi has granted the airline permission to use its airspace for the operations. The new permission for Air India will shave about 2.5 hours the regular flight time to operate that route.
As reported by Haaretz, El Al is currently the only other airline to operate a nonstop route between Israel and India — TLV to Mumbai (BOM). Because the Saudi government forbids flights that depart from or land in Israel from operating in its airspace, the El Al aircraft is required to cross the Red Sea and cut around Yemen.
Aside from US Presidents flying on Air Force One to or from Israel, no other Israeli-bound or originating flight has been permitted to use Saudi airspace. Private jets flying to or from Israel have often added a stop in Amman to avoid the airspace restriction. So, this is a historic first for Israel, Saudi Arabia and Air India. The major loser with this decision seems to be El Al, which is still required to operate around Saudi airspace. Only time will tell if this decision is a sign of a true warming of relations between Israel and Saudi Arabia. If that turns out to be the case, Saudi Arabia could eventually open its airspace to El Al flights as well.
It’s worth noting, however, that while Saudi Arabia seems to be loosening restrictions on Israeli flights, it still has its Qatar blockade in place. Qatar Airways-operated flights are still not permitted to use the airspace of several Middle Eastern countries, including Saudi Arabia.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees