7.5 Magnitude Earthquake Strikes Papua New Guinea
Papua New Guinea was hit by a 7.5-magnitude earthquake on Monday, the strongest earthquake to ever hit the Pacific nation. The quake, which struck about 55 miles south of Porgera, triggered landslides that knocked out power lines and damaged roads across the Pacific island. Thus far, at least 20 people have died, according to CNN.
Scores of aftershocks, including a 6.0 earthquake on Tuesday, have hampered rescue efforts over the past two days. The government has sent out disaster management teams including defense personnel to those affected areas.
“There are communities that have suffered from this natural disaster, and we are sending our soldiers and other Government agencies to support our people in their time of need,” Papua New Guinea Prime Minister Peter O’Neil said in a statement on his official Facebook account.
Australia’s government officials had already received a request for help from Papua New Guinean Government and would be providing a RAAF C-130 to conduct aerial surveillance and logistical support to the Papua New Guinea Defense Force, CNN reports.
Due to its position in the so-called Pacific Ring of Fire, Papua New Guinea experiences a significant amount of seismic activity. In 1998, part of Papua New Guinea’s northern coast was devastated by a tsunami, generated by a 7.0-magnitude quake.
Home to about 7 million people, Papua New Guinea is a popular tourist destination located on the eastern half of the island of New Guinea. Currently, there are no tsunami warnings issued at this time, as stated by the US Pacific Tsunami Centre.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.