7.5 Magnitude Earthquake Strikes Papua New Guinea
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Papua New Guinea was hit by a 7.5-magnitude earthquake on Monday, the strongest earthquake to ever hit the Pacific nation. The quake, which struck about 55 miles south of Porgera, triggered landslides that knocked out power lines and damaged roads across the Pacific island. Thus far, at least 20 people have died, according to CNN.
Scores of aftershocks, including a 6.0 earthquake on Tuesday, have hampered rescue efforts over the past two days. The government has sent out disaster management teams including defense personnel to those affected areas.
“There are communities that have suffered from this natural disaster, and we are sending our soldiers and other Government agencies to support our people in their time of need,” Papua New Guinea Prime Minister Peter O’Neil said in a statement on his official Facebook account.
Australia’s government officials had already received a request for help from Papua New Guinean Government and would be providing a RAAF C-130 to conduct aerial surveillance and logistical support to the Papua New Guinea Defense Force, CNN reports.
Due to its position in the so-called Pacific Ring of Fire, Papua New Guinea experiences a significant amount of seismic activity. In 1998, part of Papua New Guinea’s northern coast was devastated by a tsunami, generated by a 7.0-magnitude quake.
Home to about 7 million people, Papua New Guinea is a popular tourist destination located on the eastern half of the island of New Guinea. Currently, there are no tsunami warnings issued at this time, as stated by the US Pacific Tsunami Centre.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees