2 Stowaways Killed After Falling From Airplane’s Landing Gear
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Two stowaways died in Ecuador Monday morning after falling from a New York-bound airplane’s landing gear.
LATAM 1438 took off from Jose Joaquin de Olmedo airport in Guayaquil (GYE) at 9:01am with New York (JFK) in its sights. Fox News reports that local police believe the pair likely fainted or were ejected from the aircraft shortly after takeoff.
According to FlightRadar24, the Boeing 767-300 nearly made it to Panama before it diverted back to Guayaquil after the incident.
The bodies were found on the runway, forcing the airport to close for 90 minutes as authorities removed them from the tarmac. El Comercio newspaper reports the two victims were 25 and 30 years old.
“As we approached, we saw two people – one on the runway and the other in the grass area,” local prosecutor Carlos Bustamante told El Comercio. “The first one had a pulse but died minutes later. The other person had died.”
A suitcase fell from the plane which contained $20 and clothes. Although, no identification was found, Bustamante believes the pair could be Peruvian, since the aircraft had come from Peru, and the victims had Peruvian “characteristics.”
In 2014, a 16-year-old boy hid in the landing gear on a five-hour flight from California to Hawaii and survived.
Featured photo by Shutterstock.com
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.