2 Stowaways Killed After Falling From Airplane’s Landing Gear
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Two stowaways died in Ecuador Monday morning after falling from a New York-bound airplane’s landing gear.
LATAM 1438 took off from Jose Joaquin de Olmedo airport in Guayaquil (GYE) at 9:01am with New York (JFK) in its sights. Fox News reports that local police believe the pair likely fainted or were ejected from the aircraft shortly after takeoff.
According to FlightRadar24, the Boeing 767-300 nearly made it to Panama before it diverted back to Guayaquil after the incident.
The bodies were found on the runway, forcing the airport to close for 90 minutes as authorities removed them from the tarmac. El Comercio newspaper reports the two victims were 25 and 30 years old.
“As we approached, we saw two people – one on the runway and the other in the grass area,” local prosecutor Carlos Bustamante told El Comercio. “The first one had a pulse but died minutes later. The other person had died.”
A suitcase fell from the plane which contained $20 and clothes. Although, no identification was found, Bustamante believes the pair could be Peruvian, since the aircraft had come from Peru, and the victims had Peruvian “characteristics.”
In 2014, a 16-year-old boy hid in the landing gear on a five-hour flight from California to Hawaii and survived.
Featured photo by Shutterstock.com
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees