This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Two stowaways died in Ecuador Monday morning after falling from a New York-bound airplane’s landing gear.
LATAM 1438 took off from Jose Joaquin de Olmedo airport in Guayaquil (GYE) at 9:01am with New York (JFK) in its sights. Fox News reports that local police believe the pair likely fainted or were ejected from the aircraft shortly after takeoff.
According to FlightRadar24, the Boeing 767-300 nearly made it to Panama before it diverted back to Guayaquil after the incident.
The bodies were found on the runway, forcing the airport to close for 90 minutes as authorities removed them from the tarmac. El Comercio newspaper reports the two victims were 25 and 30 years old.
“As we approached, we saw two people – one on the runway and the other in the grass area,” local prosecutor Carlos Bustamante told El Comercio. “The first one had a pulse but died minutes later. The other person had died.”
A suitcase fell from the plane which contained $20 and clothes. Although, no identification was found, Bustamante believes the pair could be Peruvian, since the aircraft had come from Peru, and the victims had Peruvian “characteristics.”
In 2014, a 16-year-old boy hid in the landing gear on a five-hour flight from California to Hawaii and survived.
Featured photo by Shutterstock.com
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees