15 Things Only Points and Miles Enthusiasts Will Understand
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
I’m going to let you in on a little secret: When I started working at The Points Guy, I had one starter credit card and a debit card that I used to buy everything.
(I think I just heard some of you gasping through the computer screen. Stay with me.)
Truth be told, I was totally lost at first. There were so many different terms being thrown around the office that I could have sworn my co-workers were speaking another language. And don’t even get me started on all the types of planes out there…
But thanks to them — or as I like to call them, my personal Google — I recently had to get a new wallet for all of my shiny new cards. In related news, I think it’s safe to say that I have officially joined a cult.
While I admit that I don’t fully speak the language yet, I’m getting there… one sign-up bonus at a time. But for those of you that do, you’ll definitely relate to these 15 things that people who are obsessed with points and miles know all too well.
1) The feeling you get when your new card arrives in the mail.
It’s just begging to go out for a little spin, right?
This number haunts every points and miles nerd’s dreams.
3) Planning out your answers in advance for a reconsideration call.
“Yes, you are correct that I just opened a new credit card a week ago, but…”
4) Remembering you have airline fee credits to use.
We give you permission to blame it on us when you tell your boss how many trips you have lined up.
5) Sweating over choosing between your Platinum Card® from American Express for 5x Membership Rewards or Chase Sapphire Reserve for 3x Ultimate Rewards to pay for a flight.
More stressful than trying to figure out what Delta is charging for awards on any given day.
6) That feeling you get when the bonus hits.
Or as my cousin once said to me, “my points grew” — and nothing beats seeing it “grow” by thousands overnight.
7) When you have to get a new wallet to organize all your cards.
Guilty as charged. Literally.
8) The look you get when you tell your friends how many cards you have.
Mine think I’m crazy since I have six. If only they knew.
9) Cringing when you see people shopping online without going through a shopping portal.
It’s easier to do than ordering food through Seamless. I would know.
10) When you have a spreadsheet to keep track of all of your annual fees, due dates, etc.
“Will color-code for points.” That would look great on a bumper sticker, don’t ya think?
11) Saving up for Emirates suites only to have Alaska double the award overnight.
Honestly, I just want to fly in a part of a plane that’s bigger than my living room.
12) When your favorite airline is having a sale on points, and you start considering spending your entire paycheck on buying a ton of them.
And then your internal monologue goes a little something like: “I don’t have to eat for two weeks, it’s fine. Things are fine…”
13) The feeling you get when you finally get an 800+ credit score.
Mazel tov, and welcome to one of the most elite clubs in the world. You now have more bragging rights than, well, pretty much everyone.
14) You have a wish list of credit cards.
We know you’ve been eyeing the Amex Centurion card for longer than you’d like to admit.
15) You may or may not look at what card random people use for purchases.
Debit card? Yeah, we’re gonna have to work on that…
Don’t lie — you know this is you to a T. Share on Facebook if you know exactly what we’re talking about.
Featured photo by Neustockimages/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees