$1 Million in Gold Seized from Kenya Airways Passenger
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Tanzanian man was arrested at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport Friday after authorities received a tip that he was carrying $1 million worth of gold as he was preparing to board a Kenya Airways flight to Dubai.
Earlier Friday, the 46-year-old man had flown into Nairobi from Mwanza via Kilimanjaro, Tanzania, when officials found 32 kilograms — more than 70 pounds — of gold in the man’s possession, according to the Kenya Revenue Authority.
As part of an effort to protect the resources and mining industries of Africa’s Great Lakes region, which includes both Tanzania and Kenya, transporting unfinished precious metals and stones across borders is restricted by The East African Community, an intergovernmental organization of six African nations. The man who was arrested did not have any permits or government certificates, which are required in Kenya to clear customs with precious materials.
Kenya Airways has a weight limit for baggage on international flights at 50 pounds per bag for passengers in economy and 70 pounds per bag for passengers in business class. It’s unclear which cabin the Tanzanian man was flying in. Regardless, the total weight exceeded either cabins’ requirements.
News of this gold seizure comes on the heels of an arrest made last week, February 12, when an alleged Kenya Airways crew member was arrested in Mumbai after he was caught smuggling 23 kilograms of gold bricks into India. A Kenyan man was also arrested with him — authorities believe he was there to collect the gold bricks. The two were arrested at a five-star hotel near the airport.
Precious metals and stones are found and mined in several regions in Africa. The East African Community is made up of six African countries — the Republics of Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda — where there’s a need to protect their countries’ natural resources.
H/T: Good Morning America
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees