A First-Class Trip to Wine Country — Reader Success Story
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Citi Prestige Card, Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express
Today I want to share a story from TPG reader Michael, who used points to pay for flights and hotels on an anniversary trip to Napa. Here’s what he had to say:
The Platinum Card is known for premium perks (like Centurion Lounge access and hotel elite status), but it features a variety of less renowned benefits that also offer a lot of value. Michael and his wife took advantage of the Global Dining Collection, which gives you VIP access to a selection of restaurants and culinary events. Others like premium road assistance, purchase protection and the Platinum Concierge are benefits you probably won’t use often, but they’re a great asset when you need them.
The same goes for most travel rewards cards. For example, Chase Sapphire Reserve (among others) offers emergency medical and dental benefits, while Citi Prestige offers trip delay reimbursement up to $500 after just three hours (compared to 12 hours for most other cards). Even non-premium cards have unheralded perks that can come in handy, like the free museum entry offered by Bank of America and Merrill Lynch cards. The takeaway is that it’s worth digging into your card benefits to see what’s available; it’s better to know you have them and not need them than to need them and not know you have them.
I love this story and I want to hear more like it! To thank Michael for sharing his experience (and for allowing me to post it online), I’m sending him a $200 airline gift card to enjoy on future travels, and I’d like to do the same for you. Please email your own award travel success stories to firstname.lastname@example.org; be sure to include details about how you earned and redeemed your rewards, and put “Reader Success Story” in the subject line. Feel free to also submit your most woeful travel mistakes. If your story is published in either case, I’ll send you a gift to jump-start your next adventure.
Safe and happy travels to all, and I look forward to hearing from you!
Feature photo of a Napa Valley vineyard by @karen.kardatzke via Twenty20
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees