Excellent Virgin America Transcontinental Award Space at 25,000 Miles One-Way
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of the general rules of airline miles is that your miles can usually go further using miles on partner airlines than on the airline itself. And this is especially true when using American Airlines’ AAdvantage miles. While AAward AAvailability might be tight — or force connecting flights just because the airline can — you can get great value out of AA miles on partners.
Today, we are seeing this play out on transcontinental routes between New York City and Los Angeles (LAX). For reference, American Airlines will charge you 32,500 miles one-way in business class on its nonstop transcontinental routes from New York City to Los Angeles (LAX) or San Francisco (SFO).
First class on these nonstop transcontinental American Airlines flights cost 50,000 miles each way, if you can find the MileSAAver availability that pops up from time to time:
However, if you search for nonstop award flights on AA.com between NYC and Los Angeles starting in June, you’ll see a lower value for many dates:
These 25,000 mile options are “Alaska Airlines” award flights — but on ex-Virgin America aircraft. Although the flights are listed under business class, these are Virgin America’s well-regarded first class seats. And while Alaska will be replacing these excellent first class seats eventually, for now you’ll be able to fly coast-to-coast in style:
And some of these dates have wide-open availability:
If a date isn’t showing up on the calendar at 25,000 miles, don’t give up yet. I’ve already run across a handful of dates where the calendar shows “32.5K” but there are options at 25,000 on that day. For example, June 5 is showing at 32.5K on the calendar (see screenshot above), but 25,000 options show up when you select that date:
That said, if you’re looking to sleep through the transcontinental flight, these recliner-style first class Virgin America seats might not fit the bill. Instead, you might want to opt for paying 7,500 miles more for the American Airlines A321T lie-flat business class seats.
You can also redeem 25,000 Alaska MileagePlan miles for these Alaska award flights. However, based on the latest TPG valuations and other sweet spots of Alaska miles, it’d be better to redeem AAdvantage miles rather than MileagePlan miles — if you have the choice.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees