Prince Gives Video Tour of Ritz-Carlton “Prison” Before Release
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Saudi Arabian billionaire Prince Alwaleed bin Talal was released from detention at the Ritz-Carlton Riyadh on Saturday, after having been held there along with roughly 200 other Saudi princes and high-level politicians since November in what government authorities termed a crackdown on corruption but critics deemed a consolidation of power by ruling Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.
Prince Alwaleed, who has strong ties to the US as an investor in companies such as Twitter, Apple, Lyft, Citigroup, Four Seasons and Fairmont, took reporters on a tour of his suite at the Ritz-Carlton Riyadh just hours before he was released.
In the video tour, which is intercut with interview clips, Prince Alwaleed is shown walking freely through several rooms of his suite, smiling as he draws the camera’s attention to an elegant set dining room and even at one point drinking a can of Pepsi he retrieves from the fully stocked kitchen area.
According to Reuters, the Prince was released after reaching a “financial settlement” for his alleged crimes. “The attorney general has approved this morning the settlement that was reached with Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, and the prince returned home at 11am,” a senior Saudi official told Reuters. Alwaleed told the news organization that he maintained his innocence and he had been able to stay in contact with his family members as well as his businesses while held in the Ritz-Carlton.
Other detainees have also been released in recent days and the Ritz-Carlton Riyadh is now scheduled to reopen to the public on February 14. A search for the hotel using Ritz-Carlton’s website shows rooms now available for booking starting on that date at a price of 2,439 SAR (~US$650) per night.
Approximately 95 people currently remain in detention at the five-star hotel, and authorities say that any that remain after February 14 will be moved to a regular Saudi prison to await trial.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees