US Immigration Computers Are Back Up After Outage Wreaks Havoc at Airports
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
US immigration computer systems are back up after a massive outage brought immigration lines to a standstill at airports across the US on Monday. International travelers waited in lines hundreds deep when the systems went down for two hours.
In what it called a “processing system outage,” US Customs and Border Protection said the system went down around 7:30pm EST and was back up at all airports around 9:30pm. Among the affected airports were immigration-heavy ones such as New York-JFK, Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson (ATL), Denver (DEN) and Miami (MIA).
Though it didn’t say what caused the failure, the agency said that there was no reason to believe that the system was hacked or otherwise tampered with, and added that passengers were processed by other means.
That seemed of little comfort to those returning from holidays overseas, who took to social media to complain.
“No one has been getting past JFK Airport immigration for the last hour,” Jessica Yang wrote on Twitter. “Line is a few 100 deep. Seems like their system died completely down. Happy new year!”
Featured image, of Chicago O’Hare (ORD) in May 2016, courtesy of Scott Olson/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees