US Immigration Computers Are Back Up After Outage Wreaks Havoc at Airports
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
US immigration computer systems are back up after a massive outage brought immigration lines to a standstill at airports across the US on Monday. International travelers waited in lines hundreds deep when the systems went down for two hours.
In what it called a “processing system outage,” US Customs and Border Protection said the system went down around 7:30pm EST and was back up at all airports around 9:30pm. Among the affected airports were immigration-heavy ones such as New York-JFK, Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson (ATL), Denver (DEN) and Miami (MIA).
Though it didn’t say what caused the failure, the agency said that there was no reason to believe that the system was hacked or otherwise tampered with, and added that passengers were processed by other means.
That seemed of little comfort to those returning from holidays overseas, who took to social media to complain.
“No one has been getting past JFK Airport immigration for the last hour,” Jessica Yang wrote on Twitter. “Line is a few 100 deep. Seems like their system died completely down. Happy new year!”
Featured image, of Chicago O’Hare (ORD) in May 2016, courtesy of Scott Olson/Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3 points per dollar on the first $150,000 in combined spending on travel, shipping purchases, internet, cable and phone services, and advertising purchases made with social media sites and search engines.
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Earn 3 points per $1 on the first $150,000 spent on travel and select business categories each account anniversary year
- Earn 1 point per $1 on all other purchases–with no limit to the amount you can earn
- Points are worth 25% more when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards
- Redeem points for travel, cash back, gift cards and more – your points don't expire as long as your account is open
- No foreign transaction fees
- Employee cards at no additional cost
- $95 Annual Fee