Couple Says They Were Booted From Uber for Kissing
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A short kiss was the reason a same-sex couple was allegedly booted from an Uber and left on the side of the highway recently in Houston, Texas.
According to reports from Click 2 Houston, Randall Magill and Jose Chavez were leaving a holiday party when they decided to head home in an Uber. After the newly engaged couple shared a quick kiss in the driver’s van, the driver pulled over and told them to get out.
“I can’t take you no more. I’m going to have to drop you guys off,” the driver said, according to Chavez.
“He proceeds to pull off the freeway, not in any safe space place or anything, [and] leaves us on the corner of 59 and New Castle, right next to the concrete sound barrier,” Magill said.
Chavez and Magill believe they were kicked out of the Uber because they are a same-sex couple — not because of the smooch. They did say that the driver told them he’s asked straight couples to get out of his car for kissing as well.
“I’ve never had a bad experience with Uber,” said Magill. “I was super disappointed. Everyone I have ever ridden with has been very nice, very respectful. Even the ones I could tell were not so comfortable with carrying us, they were very respectful.”
This wouldn’t be the first time an Uber driver has refused service to a same-sex couple for something of this nature. In 2016, a gay couple was allegedly kicked out of an Uber in San Francisco, again for kissing. The company has fired drivers for similar discriminatory actions in the past.
Uber’s community guidelines say that passengers should not touch, flirt or engage in sexual acts. The same guidelines state that the company “has a zero tolerance policy towards discrimination of any kind.”
Violating these rules can lead to loss of access to the Uber platform.
“Uber does not tolerate any form of discrimination. We take these types of reports seriously and have been in touch with the rider and driver on the experience described here,” an Uber spokeswoman told TPG.
Photo by Smith Collection/Gado/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees