This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We’re following TPG readers as they work toward a variety of travel goals in 2018, running the gamut from important first steps in the points & miles hobby to more advanced plans such as an around-the-world award trip. The final reader we’re introducing is Fern M., whose goal is definitely on the more “expert” end of the spectrum:
“Become a two-million-miler with Lifetime Gold on Delta.”
The major US airlines all offer lifetime status through their frequent flyer programs — though it requires a lot of time in the air to earn that distinction. You’ll need to log a minimum of 1 million miles to qualify for lifetime elite status, which typically gets you low- to mid-tier status for life.
With Delta’s Medallion program, after 1 million eligible miles you’ll get lifetime Silver status, plus a gift from Hartmann, Tiffany & Co. or Tumi. After 2 million miles, you’ll get Gold Medallion status for life, along with the same options for a gift. Of course, you’ll also get the full selection of Gold status perks, including a 60% mileage bonus on paid flights, waived standby and same day change fees and complimentary upgrades as early as 3 days before departure.
Since Fern’s shooting for lifetime Gold with Delta this year, it’s safe to assume she’s already crossed that 1-million-mile mark — an important threshold for the diehard Avgeek, as TPG‘s own Zach Honig can attest. Fern provided a bit more info when we followed up:
“I will be very near the goal after an Asia trip in 2018. The biggest decisions will be: what flight will be ‘best’ to be on when I actually hit the 2M! And then, how to maximize that Lifetime Gold when I use all of my miles!”
A long-haul flight can do wonders for your mileage balance, and in Fern’s case it’ll also shorten the distance to the 2-million-mile threshold. It sounds like this goal is well within reach, and hopefully Fern will be even closer to attaining lifetime Gold when we check in a few months down the line. Stay tuned!
If you are a Delta flyer who is looking to bank some extra miles this card is a great addition for your wallet. While you'll earn 2 miles per dollar on Delta purchases and 1 mile per dollar on everything else, you'll also have access to other perks like priority boarding, a first bag checked free and discounted Delta Sky Club access.
- Earn 30,000 Bonus Miles after spending $1,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $50 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months.
- Earn 2 miles on every dollar spent on purchases made directly with Delta. Earn 1 mile for every eligible dollar spent on purchases.
- Check your first bag free on Delta flights - that's a savings of up to $200 per round trip for a family of four.
- Want even more flexibility? Pay with Miles is a Card Member feature that gives you the option to redeem miles for all or part of the price of your tickets on Delta.com.
- Settle into your seat sooner with Priority Boarding.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees