Southwest Flies 62 Puppies and Kittens Out of Puerto Rico
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hurricane Maria dealt a devastating blow to the US island of Puerto Rico, with every resident on the island left without both power and cell phone reception. Since the storm, it’s been reported that hundreds of thousands of residents have fled the island as the recovery efforts progress slowly. Today, one in five Puerto Rican households are still without power.
The human toll has been tragic, and the recovery efforts have understandably focused on the people of Puerto Rico, but there were also many furry victims of the powerful hurricane. Sadly, many residents who evacuated the island after the storm had to leave without their pets. Other hurricane victims had to give up their pets as they have been unable to care for them.
On January 20, 62 of these orphaned dogs and cats got a new chance to find a “fur-ever” home. Southwest Airlines partnered with Washington, DC-based Lucky Dog Animal Rescue to airlift 14,000 pounds of supplies into Puerto Rico:
And the rescue flight returned to Baltimore (BWI) with over five dozen four-legged passengers. Some of these were even lucky enough to meet the pilots before the flight:
A few lucky dogs even got to tour the cockpit:
The Dallas Morning News reports that Mirah Horowitz, executive director and founder of Lucky Dog Animal Rescue, got the ball rolling on the trip when she sent an “unsolicited email” to Southwest’s CEO Gary Kelly. After months of coordination and planning, the flight was scheduled and flown on Saturday.
Mirah expressed her appreciation to Southwest for the rescue flight:
“We are incredibly grateful to Southwest for partnering with us to make this flight a reality. This flight will literally save lives – both of the animals who are transported to DC as well as to those who remain on the island and need the supplies we are bringing.”
If you can’t get enough of this LUV-filled mission, check out video from the rescue flight:
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.