Southwest Flies 62 Puppies and Kittens Out of Puerto Rico
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hurricane Maria dealt a devastating blow to the US island of Puerto Rico, with every resident on the island left without both power and cell phone reception. Since the storm, it’s been reported that hundreds of thousands of residents have fled the island as the recovery efforts progress slowly. Today, one in five Puerto Rican households are still without power.
The human toll has been tragic, and the recovery efforts have understandably focused on the people of Puerto Rico, but there were also many furry victims of the powerful hurricane. Sadly, many residents who evacuated the island after the storm had to leave without their pets. Other hurricane victims had to give up their pets as they have been unable to care for them.
On January 20, 62 of these orphaned dogs and cats got a new chance to find a “fur-ever” home. Southwest Airlines partnered with Washington, DC-based Lucky Dog Animal Rescue to airlift 14,000 pounds of supplies into Puerto Rico:
And the rescue flight returned to Baltimore (BWI) with over five dozen four-legged passengers. Some of these were even lucky enough to meet the pilots before the flight:
A few lucky dogs even got to tour the cockpit:
The Dallas Morning News reports that Mirah Horowitz, executive director and founder of Lucky Dog Animal Rescue, got the ball rolling on the trip when she sent an “unsolicited email” to Southwest’s CEO Gary Kelly. After months of coordination and planning, the flight was scheduled and flown on Saturday.
Mirah expressed her appreciation to Southwest for the rescue flight:
“We are incredibly grateful to Southwest for partnering with us to make this flight a reality. This flight will literally save lives – both of the animals who are transported to DC as well as to those who remain on the island and need the supplies we are bringing.”
If you can’t get enough of this LUV-filled mission, check out video from the rescue flight:
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.