Southwest Flies 62 Puppies and Kittens Out of Puerto Rico
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hurricane Maria dealt a devastating blow to the US island of Puerto Rico, with every resident on the island left without both power and cell phone reception. Since the storm, it’s been reported that hundreds of thousands of residents have fled the island as the recovery efforts progress slowly. Today, one in five Puerto Rican households are still without power.
The human toll has been tragic, and the recovery efforts have understandably focused on the people of Puerto Rico, but there were also many furry victims of the powerful hurricane. Sadly, many residents who evacuated the island after the storm had to leave without their pets. Other hurricane victims had to give up their pets as they have been unable to care for them.
On January 20, 62 of these orphaned dogs and cats got a new chance to find a “fur-ever” home. Southwest Airlines partnered with Washington, DC-based Lucky Dog Animal Rescue to airlift 14,000 pounds of supplies into Puerto Rico:
And the rescue flight returned to Baltimore (BWI) with over five dozen four-legged passengers. Some of these were even lucky enough to meet the pilots before the flight:
A few lucky dogs even got to tour the cockpit:
The Dallas Morning News reports that Mirah Horowitz, executive director and founder of Lucky Dog Animal Rescue, got the ball rolling on the trip when she sent an “unsolicited email” to Southwest’s CEO Gary Kelly. After months of coordination and planning, the flight was scheduled and flown on Saturday.
Mirah expressed her appreciation to Southwest for the rescue flight:
“We are incredibly grateful to Southwest for partnering with us to make this flight a reality. This flight will literally save lives – both of the animals who are transported to DC as well as to those who remain on the island and need the supplies we are bringing.”
If you can’t get enough of this LUV-filled mission, check out video from the rescue flight:
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees