This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In life, timing is everything. And if you’ve been hoping to acquire a Southwest Companion Pass — one of the most popular travel benefits around — there’s no better time than right now. That’s because the sign-up bonuses on the Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card and the Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus Credit Card are currently 50,000 points each after spending $2,000 in the first three months. Meanwhile, the Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Business Card earns 60,000 bonus points with $3,000 in spend in the first three months.
Before we get to how these bonuses can help you earn a Companion Pass for two years, let’s talk about what a Companion Pass is in the first place. The Southwest Companion Pass lets you bring a friend or family member with you on any Southwest flight essentially for free, regardless of whether you paid for your own ticket with cash or Southwest points. That means you can get a free companion ticket on a ticket you booked for free using points.
In order to get a Companion Pass, you have to accumulate 110,000 qualifying points in one calendar year. Unfortunately, not all Southwest Rapid Rewards points that you earn count as Companion Pass points, and Southwest stopped counting hotel point transfers as qualifying points last year. But points earned from the Southwest credit cards do still count toward the Companion Pass — and that includes the sign-up bonuses as well.
You generally can’t get more than one personal card and one business card in a 90-day period from Chase (and also keep in mind the bank’s 5/24 rule). But, if you sign up for both the Southwest business card and either the Southwest Premier card or the Southwest Plus card and complete the minimum spending requirement on each, you’ll get a total of 115,000 Rapid Rewards points. That’ll put you over the top for Companion Pass eligibility.
Not only will you get the Companion Pass for the rest of 2018, you’ll keep it for all of 2019 as well. Depending on how quickly you can get the cards, complete the spend and earn the 110,000 points, that’s nearly two full years of having the Companion Pass.
If you don’t have or don’t want to apply for a business credit card, you can still get the Companion Pass via Southwest’s personal credit cards. You’ll just have to spread things out a bit so you can get both the Premier card and the Plus card with at least 90 days in between each application. The 50,000 point bonuses on those two cards — plus the $2,000 spend on each — will get you to 104,000 total Rapid Rewards points, which is only 6,000 short of what you need for the Companion Pass. You can earn the remaining points either through additional spending on one of the credit cards, by flying on Southwest or through one of Southwest’s partners, such as the Southwest shopping portal.
Unless you’re lucky enough to be targeted for a Companion Pass offer like the one California residents were fortunate to get last year, this is the best remaining way to quickly get the points you need for a Companion Pass, and early in the year is the best time to do it. With Southwest launching flights to Hawaii in 2018, the Companion Pass is likely to be more valuable than ever. So, if this awesome perk sounds like a good fit for you, grab one or two of these credit card bonuses and get working on earning your Companion Pass today.
Featured image by John Gress/Getty Images.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees