‘Serial Stowaway’ Arrested Again After Flying to London Without a Ticket
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A 66-year old woman with a history of sneaking past security and onto airplanes managed to make it from Chicago (ORD) to London (LHR) on a British Airways flight last week without a ticket, boarding pass or passport.
According to CBS Chicago, Marilyn Hartman, a woman who has been arrested dozens of times over the last several years for entering restricted areas in airports and flying without a ticket, managed to slip past a checkpoint at domestic Terminal 3 at O’Hare, then spent two days wandering around the airport unquestioned before making her way to international Terminal 5 and boarding a Sunday afternoon British Airways flight to Heathrow.
Hartman reportedly made her way past a gate agent, hid in the airplane’s bathroom until after takeoff, then found an empty seat for the trip to England. Upon arriving in London without a passport, Hartman was sent back to O’Hare and arrested on Thursday.
According to a 2015 profile of the serial stowaway in SFGate, Hartman — whose original name was Marilyn Stall — first came onto the radar of authorities in 2009 when she attempted to fly from Hawaii using another woman’s identity. Since then, Hartman has had run-ins at airports in California, Arizona, Florida, the Pacific Northwest and Minnesota. She is often caught in the process of attempting to board planes or bypass security, but she has also managed to successfully travel on flights.
In August 2014, Hartman flew on a Southwest flight from San Jose (SJC) to Los Angeles (LAX) without a ticket, only to get arrested upon her arrival in LA. In early 2015 she made it from Minnesota to Jacksonville (JAX), then checked into a hotel under another person’s name. Then in the summer of 2015, she was arrested at O’Hare less than 24 hours after having been released from jail for attempts to get past security at the Chicago area airports.
Hartman, a transient who has been in several mental health facilities, often provides far fetched explanations for her exploits, including the idea that authorities conspire to allow her to board airplanes so that she can then be arrested. However, previous news reports note that her most successful tactic appears to be blending in with large groups to avoid being noticed.
A statement from the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) said that, “This matter is subject to an ongoing investigation and TSA is working closely with our law enforcement and airline partners in that effort.” Hartman is charged with one misdemeanor count of criminal trespassing and one felony count of theft. She will be arraigned on Tuesday.
H/T: Chicago Tribune via TPG reader Richard S.
Featured image by Richard Baker / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees