The Bomb Cyclone, Commercial Aviation’s Safest Year Ever, Norwegian’s Premium Expansion and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you may have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy, and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you may have missed this week.
While center of the bomb cyclone has passed north of the US, effects are lingering across the east coast with continuing flight cancellations, an airport still closed and plenty of out-of-place aircraft due to diverted flights.
A Dutch aviation consultant group released a report saying that 2017 was the safest year ever for commercial air travel. It found that the chance of a commercial airliner being involved in a fatal accident in 2017 was 1 in approximately 17 million.
This week, Norwegian announced that it’s going to increase the number of premium seats in its new Boeing 787-9 Dreamliners that it will be taking delivery of soon. The premium cabin will be 60% larger than what’s found on its current fleet of 787s, which means that each seat will have 3″ less pitch.
Delta is testing new functionality that allows some elites to avoid being “upgraded” into a middle seat in the Comfort+ cabin. The airline has been struggling to address this issue for a while now, with many elites dissatisfied with an “upgrade” to a less-comfortable seat.
Emirates is one of the world’s most-loved airlines, thanks to comfortable hard products and top-notch service in all classes — though its first class is in a league of its own. However, the airline has recently been adding sky-high surcharges on award tickets for the first class product. Here are some of the best alternatives to consider if you want to fly in style without paying through the nose.
Remember a couple of weeks ago when ANA flew an 8-hour “flight to nowhere” from LAX to LAX? Well, not to be outdone, Delta operated two back-to-back flights from ATL to ATL earlier this week.
Read a first-hand report of how United Airlines handled a situation that arose after a couple decided to give themselves an upgrade to business class on the airline’s new 77W.
In a surprising move, newly engaged couple Prince Harry and Meghan Markle ditched the Royal Air Force’s Queen’s Flight and flew in economy class on a flight from London Heathrow (LHR) to Nice (NCE) on New Year’s Eve.
In other news…
Low-Cost Carrier Sun Country Set to Begin Flights Between LAX and Honolulu
Sun Country’s new seasonal service between Los Angeles (LAX) and Honolulu (HNL) will begin on May 19, 2018 and run through August 19, 2018. Flights will be operated four times weekly.
Featured image courtesy of Rebecca Butala How via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees