US Airline Stocks Tumble, How to Raise Your Uber Rating, Get Ready for Higher Airfare and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you may have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy, and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you may have missed this week.
United CEO Oscar Munoz held an earnings call Tuesday night — following the call not only did the airline see a major drop in value, but that drop spread across all airline stocks in the US.
In a recent interview, Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi shared how to raise your personal Uber rating and get the coveted 5-star score. Take a look to see how to up your score.
Prepare for Higher Airfare as Airlines Deal With Increasing Fuel Costs
Thanks to the low cost of jet fuel in the recent past, airfare that once seemed like deals are now standard fares. But now with the rising prices of oil, those fares may not stick around for too much longer.
TPG’s JT Genter recently switched his extra legroom seat for a standard economy seat and noted the small space for the seat… and the lavatory, too. And he’s not the only one who noticed.
On a flight from Paris (CDG) to New York (JFK) in December, one more passenger had to be added to the manifest by the time the plane landed in the US. Read about the amazing birth that occurred on board — and in first class, too.
Lufthansa is celebrating its 100th birthday in 2018. To celebrate, the airline is changing up the one thing that’s remained consistent since its inception.
For frequent flyers, flights most likely accounts for a large part of personal carbon emissions. Read on to see how you can make up for the emissions that are produced when you’re 35,000 feet in the air.
Delta announced it’s increasing the flexibility of upgrade certificates so that Diamond Medallions and Platinum Medallions may use their upgrades on Pay with Miles tickets and SkyMiles Companion Certificates. Medallions can also now use certificates for companions without having to use one on themselves.
After months of waiting, AA unveils its main cabin enhancements, which range from “bin enhancements” to “complimentary beer, wine and spirits.”
TPG Editor-at-Large Zach Honig was surprised earlier this week when he realized that he was halfway to Platinum status with SPG, which usually requires 50 nights annually. Turns out, he wasn’t the only one with the mistake in his account, and, unfortunately, SPG will most likely roll these back.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees