Emirates Saves the A380, How to Get the Companion Pass, The Pope Officiates Wedding at 35,000 Feet and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you may have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy, and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you may have missed this week.
Emirates has (likely) saved the superjumbo Airbus A380 from an imminent death. On Thursday, the Dubai-based carrier announced that it’s signed a Memorandum of Understanding an order for up to 36 of the A380s, a deal worth $16 billion.
Here’s an overview of how to quickly earn one of one of the most popular (and rewarding) perks in the travel industry: the Southwest Companion Pass.
On a domestic flight within Chile on Thursday, two flight attendants got married to each other and it was officiated by none other than Pope Francis himself. Felicitaciones!
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is under investigation by the Federal Aviation Administration for the handling of massive weather-related delays and cancellations at New York’s JFK airport earlier this month.
f you have an Amex card that offers an airline incidental fee credit, you can change your airline selection once each year in January. Here’s which airlines offer gift cards that will trigger the fee credit.
Brazil’s Gol Airlines has announced that it’s starting its first nonstop flights to the US, with one of the routes to become the world’s longest 737 flight.
Every time you step into the lavatory on an airplane, millions of questions pop into your mind from “why is the flush so loud” to “why is the water blue?” Take a look here to see all your questions answered about the can in the sky.
Google Fi revolutionized international data plans for cell phones when it was first introduced to the market in 2015. Now a new policy that caps monthly data fees at $60 is comparable to an “unlimited” plan for frequent flyers and is sure to shake things up for phone carriers like Verizon and AT&T.
Iberia ordered 16 A350 aircraft to add to its fleet during 2014 and 2015. On Thursday, the Spanish carrier released some of the first renderings of its new A350, as well as its first destination — New York (JFK).
Last year, Norwegian began service to smaller airports on the East coast. Now, after just one year of operation, the airline announced that it is suspending service from one of those airports — Hartford’s Bradley International Airport (BDL).
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.