Emirates Saves the A380, How to Get the Companion Pass, The Pope Officiates Wedding at 35,000 Feet and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you may have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy, and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you may have missed this week.
Emirates has (likely) saved the superjumbo Airbus A380 from an imminent death. On Thursday, the Dubai-based carrier announced that it’s signed a Memorandum of Understanding an order for up to 36 of the A380s, a deal worth $16 billion.
Here’s an overview of how to quickly earn one of one of the most popular (and rewarding) perks in the travel industry: the Southwest Companion Pass.
On a domestic flight within Chile on Thursday, two flight attendants got married to each other and it was officiated by none other than Pope Francis himself. Felicitaciones!
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is under investigation by the Federal Aviation Administration for the handling of massive weather-related delays and cancellations at New York’s JFK airport earlier this month.
f you have an Amex card that offers an airline incidental fee credit, you can change your airline selection once each year in January. Here’s which airlines offer gift cards that will trigger the fee credit.
Brazil’s Gol Airlines has announced that it’s starting its first nonstop flights to the US, with one of the routes to become the world’s longest 737 flight.
Every time you step into the lavatory on an airplane, millions of questions pop into your mind from “why is the flush so loud” to “why is the water blue?” Take a look here to see all your questions answered about the can in the sky.
Google Fi revolutionized international data plans for cell phones when it was first introduced to the market in 2015. Now a new policy that caps monthly data fees at $60 is comparable to an “unlimited” plan for frequent flyers and is sure to shake things up for phone carriers like Verizon and AT&T.
Iberia ordered 16 A350 aircraft to add to its fleet during 2014 and 2015. On Thursday, the Spanish carrier released some of the first renderings of its new A350, as well as its first destination — New York (JFK).
Last year, Norwegian began service to smaller airports on the East coast. Now, after just one year of operation, the airline announced that it is suspending service from one of those airports — Hartford’s Bradley International Airport (BDL).
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees