This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Throughout the course of the year, we’ll be keeping up with several TPG readers as they work toward meeting various travel goals. We kicked off this series with Heather P., who’s hoping to open her first travel rewards credit card in 2018.
Today, let’s meet Bryan O., who has a specific trip in mind. (Comment has been lightly edited for clarity.)
My goal is to continue saving for a round-the-world trip. I’m shooting for 2 business class tickets through Singapore at 240k miles each. Currently I have about 300k Ultimate Rewards points and ~40k in Singapore accounts so not too far off, relatively speaking! Hoping that we’ll have enough to book by end of 2018 for travel maybe the following year.
A handful of frequent flyer programs let you redeem miles for around-the-world itineraries, typically with a maximum number of segments and stopovers allowed. Of course, you could always piece together an award itinerary that takes you around the globe, but redeeming your rewards specifically for an around-the-world trip can take out some of the guesswork — not to mention there’s something pretty satisfying about locking in this type of trip. Singapore’s round-the-world award option lets you visit up to seven cities served by Star Alliance airlines.
Between his balance of KrisFlyer miles and Ultimate Rewards points (which transfer to Singapore KrisFlyer at a 1:1 rate) Bryan currently has enough rewards to book one business-class around-the-world award through Singapore — and he’s just 20,000 miles short of one first-class award (360,000 miles) or two economy awards (180,000 miles each).
This trip will be much more fun when shared with a companion, of course, and we don’t blame him for wanting to ride in comfort, especially when some of those flights will be on the long side. Bryan is currently about 140,000 miles short of the required 480,000 to book two of these awards in business-class, and he’s luckily given himself plenty of time to earn the extra rewards — he’s not planning to travel till 2019, though he would like to book by the end of this year.
Luckily, Singapore KrisFlyer is a partner of all four of the major transferable points programs: American Express Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards, Citi ThankYou Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest. That means he has tons of options for earning the Singapore miles he needs. Our next step will be checking in with Bryan to learn which cards he currently has in his wallet, which ones he may be considering applying for, what categories he spends the most in and more. And we’re pretty curious about which destinations he’s considering for this around-the-world ticket, too.
Of course, he could already have a strategy for earning those 140,000 miles in place, but we’ll be here to offer advice along the way — and to share his progress a few months down the line!
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees