TPG Reader 2018 Travel Goals: Booking an Around-the-World Trip on Miles
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Throughout the course of the year, we’ll be keeping up with several TPG readers as they work toward meeting various travel goals. We kicked off this series with Heather P., who’s hoping to open her first travel rewards credit card in 2018.
Today, let’s meet Bryan O., who has a specific trip in mind. (Comment has been lightly edited for clarity.)
My goal is to continue saving for a round-the-world trip. I’m shooting for 2 business class tickets through Singapore at 240k miles each. Currently I have about 300k Ultimate Rewards points and ~40k in Singapore accounts so not too far off, relatively speaking! Hoping that we’ll have enough to book by end of 2018 for travel maybe the following year.
A handful of frequent flyer programs let you redeem miles for around-the-world itineraries, typically with a maximum number of segments and stopovers allowed. Of course, you could always piece together an award itinerary that takes you around the globe, but redeeming your rewards specifically for an around-the-world trip can take out some of the guesswork — not to mention there’s something pretty satisfying about locking in this type of trip. Singapore’s round-the-world award option lets you visit up to seven cities served by Star Alliance airlines.
Between his balance of KrisFlyer miles and Ultimate Rewards points (which transfer to Singapore KrisFlyer at a 1:1 rate) Bryan currently has enough rewards to book one business-class around-the-world award through Singapore — and he’s just 20,000 miles short of one first-class award (360,000 miles) or two economy awards (180,000 miles each).
This trip will be much more fun when shared with a companion, of course, and we don’t blame him for wanting to ride in comfort, especially when some of those flights will be on the long side. Bryan is currently about 140,000 miles short of the required 480,000 to book two of these awards in business-class, and he’s luckily given himself plenty of time to earn the extra rewards — he’s not planning to travel till 2019, though he would like to book by the end of this year.
Luckily, Singapore KrisFlyer is a partner of all four of the major transferable points programs: American Express Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards, Citi ThankYou Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest. That means he has tons of options for earning the Singapore miles he needs. Our next step will be checking in with Bryan to learn which cards he currently has in his wallet, which ones he may be considering applying for, what categories he spends the most in and more. And we’re pretty curious about which destinations he’s considering for this around-the-world ticket, too.
Of course, he could already have a strategy for earning those 140,000 miles in place, but we’ll be here to offer advice along the way — and to share his progress a few months down the line!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees