TPG Reader 2018 Travel Goals: A Honeymoon on Points and Miles
All throughout 2018 we’ll be checking in with a half dozen TPG readers as they work toward meeting various travel goals for the year. We’ve already met Heather P., who’s planning to open her first travel rewards credit card in 2018, and Bryan O., who’s working toward an around-the-world award on Singapore.
Today, we’re introducing Kim C., who wants to use points and miles for an upcoming special occasion:
My fiancé and I are planning a honeymoon to Thailand in April of 2019. I started learning about points this month. Our goal is to pay for our 3 week long trip and round trip biz class airfare with points which will be around 500,000 points. My goal is to hit that number as early in the year as possible. This would be both of our first time flying business class.
Collecting 500,000 points in a year is an ambitious but definitely achievable goal. The key is making sure you’re earning the right type of points by signing up for and spending on the right credit cards. In this case, since Kim and her fiancé want to fly in international business class, she’ll likely want to shy away from fixed-value points and look for points that can be transferred to airline programs, since that’s where she’ll get the best bang for her buck in premium cabin redemptions.
There are also quite a few very nice business-class options to Thailand from the US, even though no airline offers nonstop service at this time. If you’re departing from the eastern US, you could consider flying through the Middle East on one of Qatar’s A350s to Bangkok (BKK) through Doha (DOH) or Etihad’s A380 from New York (JFK) via Abu Dhabi (AUH). Or if you’re starting out from the west, you’ve got lots of options through other cities in Asia, such as Cathay Pacific via Hong Kong (HKG), Korean Air by way of Seoul (ICN) or EVA Air with a stop in Taipei (TPE), just to name a few.
The really great news is that with so many choices, you can focus on collecting miles in almost any of the three major airline alliances and have possibilities. However, if you’re departing from the west, you’ll probably want to focus on options in the Star Alliance since several airlines in that group have service to Thailand, such as EVA Air, ANA, Asiana and Singapore Airlines. That will likely give you the most choices and the best chance at finding award space.
Finally, don’t forget about Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan, which has partnerships with a number of airlines that fly to Thailand — including Cathay Pacific, Korean Air and Japan Airlines — and some very reasonable award charts for trips to southeast Asia. You can earn Mileage Plan miles with the Alaska Airlines Visa credit card or by transferring Starpoints from SPG with a 25% bonus.
So there are lots of interesting choices for Kim and her future spouse — we’re looking forward to seeing which path they take!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees