Plane Makes ‘Miracle’ Emergency Landing on Southern California Freeway
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A small plane with a failing engine landed safely amid traffic on the 55 Freeway in Costa Mesa, California, Sunday night.
Pilot Izzy Slod, 24, of North Hollywood, and a passenger were flying the single-engine, six-seat 1971 Beechcraft Bonanza G33 to Van Nuys from San Diego when the engine trouble began around 7:40pm. Unable to make it to John Wayne Airport (SNA) because of winds, Slod spotted a stretch of freeway that was free of cars and set the aircraft down on it.
“I saw an opening on the highway and I went for it right away,” Slod told KNBC. “I had to make a last-minute, last-second judgment on whether or not we could make it over, and we didn’t have the airspeed to make it over, so I went under it.”
According to the Costa Mesa Fire Department, there were no injuries and the plane was undamaged. Fire Capt. Chris Coatez called the landing on the normally busy highway a “complete miracle.”
Slod said his training prepared him of the landing. The plane was later towed away. The Federal Aviation Administration is investigating, and both it and California Highway Patrol didn’t respond immediately to requests for comments.
Photo by Southern Counties News
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy program.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 125,000 Marriott Bonvoy Bonus Points after spending $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer expires 8/31/22.
- 6x points at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program.
- 4x points for purchases made at restaurants worldwide, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping.
- 2x points on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 7% discount off standard rates for reservations of standard guest rooms at hotels that participate in the Marriott Bonvoy program when you book directly. Terms and Conditions Apply.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card renewal month. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy Complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite Status with your Card.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees