Plane Makes ‘Miracle’ Emergency Landing on Southern California Freeway
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A small plane with a failing engine landed safely amid traffic on the 55 Freeway in Costa Mesa, California, Sunday night.
Pilot Izzy Slod, 24, of North Hollywood, and a passenger were flying the single-engine, six-seat 1971 Beechcraft Bonanza G33 to Van Nuys from San Diego when the engine trouble began around 7:40pm. Unable to make it to John Wayne Airport (SNA) because of winds, Slod spotted a stretch of freeway that was free of cars and set the aircraft down on it.
“I saw an opening on the highway and I went for it right away,” Slod told KNBC. “I had to make a last-minute, last-second judgment on whether or not we could make it over, and we didn’t have the airspeed to make it over, so I went under it.”
According to the Costa Mesa Fire Department, there were no injuries and the plane was undamaged. Fire Capt. Chris Coatez called the landing on the normally busy highway a “complete miracle.”
Slod said his training prepared him of the landing. The plane was later towed away. The Federal Aviation Administration is investigating, and both it and California Highway Patrol didn’t respond immediately to requests for comments.
Photo by Southern Counties News
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.