Piper, the Goggle-Wearing Michigan Runway Dog, Has Died
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Tails are wagging at half-mast across the US this week in honor of Piper, the wildlife-control dog and viral sensation who died Wednesday.
Known for wearing reflective goggles, the border collie became a social-media darling in 2015, when photos emerged of him chasing geese and other animals off the runway at Traverse City’s Cherry Capital Airport (TVC), in northern Michigan.
“Piper passed away tonight peacefully in my arms after fighting a yearlong battle with prostate cancer,” Brian Edwards, Piper’s owner and an airport operations supervisor, wrote on Piper’s Instagram page. “He fought valiantly, and we did everything we could, but sometimes life just has to take its course.”
Nine-year-old Piper was charged with keeping the airport clear of wildlife, and took to his 40-hour-a-week job with glee, injuring himself in overenthusiastic hot pursuit of a snowy owl trespassing on a taxiway in 2015. He even had a working uniform, consisting of goggles, ear protection, a special vest, tracking beacon and boots to protect his paws from hot pavement in the summer and ice and snow in the winter. He had a second job as TVC’s official airport morale officer.
Piper’s last day was spent among his friends, including many airport workers Edwards said: “He played soccer, got some much-deserved butt scratches and, yes, he chased away one last snowy owl as he sailed into the night.”
A local Coast Guard air station paid tribute to Piper by presenting Edwards with the flag that flew there.
Edwards said Piper, pictured below with a Delta 757, was “grateful to have done what we loved for three years and had a whole hell of a lot of fun doing it.”
Images courtesy of the AirportK9 Instagram page.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees