This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Tails are wagging at half-mast across the US this week in honor of Piper, the wildlife-control dog and viral sensation who died Wednesday.
Known for wearing reflective goggles, the border collie became a social-media darling in 2015, when photos emerged of him chasing geese and other animals off the runway at Traverse City’s Cherry Capital Airport (TVC), in northern Michigan.
“Piper passed away tonight peacefully in my arms after fighting a yearlong battle with prostate cancer,” Brian Edwards, Piper’s owner and an airport operations supervisor, wrote on Piper’s Instagram page. “He fought valiantly, and we did everything we could, but sometimes life just has to take its course.”
Nine-year-old Piper was charged with keeping the airport clear of wildlife, and took to his 40-hour-a-week job with glee, injuring himself in overenthusiastic hot pursuit of a snowy owl trespassing on a taxiway in 2015. He even had a working uniform, consisting of goggles, ear protection, a special vest, tracking beacon and boots to protect his paws from hot pavement in the summer and ice and snow in the winter. He had a second job as TVC’s official airport morale officer.
Piper’s last day was spent among his friends, including many airport workers Edwards said: “He played soccer, got some much-deserved butt scratches and, yes, he chased away one last snowy owl as he sailed into the night.”
A local Coast Guard air station paid tribute to Piper by presenting Edwards with the flag that flew there.
Edwards said Piper, pictured below with a Delta 757, was “grateful to have done what we loved for three years and had a whole hell of a lot of fun doing it.”
Images courtesy of the AirportK9 Instagram page.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees