Norwegian Dreamliner Breaks JFK Speed Record
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While no commercial aircraft has come close to touching the record transatlantic flight time of the now-defunct Concorde, which clocked in at just under two hours and 53 minutes back in 1996, one subsonic airliner has now come closer than ever before.
As The Telegraph reports, this Monday, a Norwegian 787 Dreamliner flew from New York (JFK) to London Gatwick (LGW) in just five hours and 13 minutes, besting a 2015 British Airways record on the same route by three minutes. While the eastbound leg is always shorter than the return flight to the US, Monday’s Norwegian flight 7014 beat the average crossing time by some 30 minutes, pulling into the gate in London 44 minutes ahead of schedule.
While passengers on much more common transatlantic redeye flights wouldn’t mind a few extra hours of shut-eye, this happened to be a daytime departure, so the early arrival was likely well-received.
According to the Telegraph report, the plane reached a top ground speed of 776 miles per hour, aided by 202-mile-per-hour winds. The pilot reportedly slowed the aircraft while combating turbulence — with smoother air, the flight could have been even shorter.
Feature photo of Norwegian 787 Dreamliner. (Photo courtesy Norwegian)
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.