This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While no commercial aircraft has come close to touching the record transatlantic flight time of the now-defunct Concorde, which clocked in at just under two hours and 53 minutes back in 1996, one subsonic airliner has now come closer than ever before.
As The Telegraph reports, this Monday, a Norwegian 787 Dreamliner flew from New York (JFK) to London Gatwick (LGW) in just five hours and 13 minutes, besting a 2015 British Airways record on the same route by three minutes. While the eastbound leg is always shorter than the return flight to the US, Monday’s Norwegian flight 7014 beat the average crossing time by some 30 minutes, pulling into the gate in London 44 minutes ahead of schedule.
While passengers on much more common transatlantic redeye flights wouldn’t mind a few extra hours of shut-eye, this happened to be a daytime departure, so the early arrival was likely well-received.
According to the Telegraph report, the plane reached a top ground speed of 776 miles per hour, aided by 202-mile-per-hour winds. The pilot reportedly slowed the aircraft while combating turbulence — with smoother air, the flight could have been even shorter.
Feature photo of Norwegian 787 Dreamliner. (Photo courtesy Norwegian)
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees