Norwegian Dreamliner Breaks JFK Speed Record
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While no commercial aircraft has come close to touching the record transatlantic flight time of the now-defunct Concorde, which clocked in at just under two hours and 53 minutes back in 1996, one subsonic airliner has now come closer than ever before.
As The Telegraph reports, this Monday, a Norwegian 787 Dreamliner flew from New York (JFK) to London Gatwick (LGW) in just five hours and 13 minutes, besting a 2015 British Airways record on the same route by three minutes. While the eastbound leg is always shorter than the return flight to the US, Monday’s Norwegian flight 7014 beat the average crossing time by some 30 minutes, pulling into the gate in London 44 minutes ahead of schedule.
While passengers on much more common transatlantic redeye flights wouldn’t mind a few extra hours of shut-eye, this happened to be a daytime departure, so the early arrival was likely well-received.
According to the Telegraph report, the plane reached a top ground speed of 776 miles per hour, aided by 202-mile-per-hour winds. The pilot reportedly slowed the aircraft while combating turbulence — with smoother air, the flight could have been even shorter.
Feature photo of Norwegian 787 Dreamliner. (Photo courtesy Norwegian)
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3 points per dollar on the first $150,000 in combined spending on travel, shipping purchases, internet, cable and phone services, and advertising purchases made with social media sites and search engines.
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Earn 3 points per $1 on the first $150,000 spent on travel and select business categories each account anniversary year
- Earn 1 point per $1 on all other purchases–with no limit to the amount you can earn
- Points are worth 25% more when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards
- Redeem points for travel, cash back, gift cards and more – your points don't expire as long as your account is open
- No foreign transaction fees
- Employee cards at no additional cost
- $95 Annual Fee