This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While no commercial aircraft has come close to touching the record transatlantic flight time of the now-defunct Concorde, which clocked in at just under two hours and 53 minutes back in 1996, one subsonic airliner has now come closer than ever before.
As The Telegraph reports, this Monday, a Norwegian 787 Dreamliner flew from New York (JFK) to London Gatwick (LGW) in just five hours and 13 minutes, besting a 2015 British Airways record on the same route by three minutes. While the eastbound leg is always shorter than the return flight to the US, Monday’s Norwegian flight 7014 beat the average crossing time by some 30 minutes, pulling into the gate in London 44 minutes ahead of schedule.
While passengers on much more common transatlantic redeye flights wouldn’t mind a few extra hours of shut-eye, this happened to be a daytime departure, so the early arrival was likely well-received.
According to the Telegraph report, the plane reached a top ground speed of 776 miles per hour, aided by 202-mile-per-hour winds. The pilot reportedly slowed the aircraft while combating turbulence — with smoother air, the flight could have been even shorter.
Feature photo of Norwegian 787 Dreamliner. (Photo courtesy Norwegian)
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards