Marriott Giving Platinum Status to Some Elites Who Didn’t Qualify for 2018
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
For those trying to get status with an airline or hotel, it’s usually a race at the end of the year to go on a mileage run or mattress run to hit your status goals. But sometimes life and budget get in the way, and you’re a few nights or a thousand miles short of your goal.
Luckily for some of those with Marriott elite status, the hotel chain is reportedly extending Platinum status to Marriott elites who didn’t quite make it last year. TPG reader Nick P. wrote us with the details:
“I got an envelope from Marriott saying even though I did not stay the required nights to keep Platinum status this year they renewed my 2018 status at Platinum and not Gold. I actually had 50 stays on the mark. We welcomed our first child this past year and it slowed down my normal travel. I know they discounted the status buy back so this was a nice surprise.”
Although not everyone is receiving this offer, we’ve heard similar reports from multiple readers, and our TPG Lounge members have confirmed that many are indeed receiving the upgrade or an extension to their status.
Interestingly, some TPG readers have had their Platinum status extended even though they only stayed enough nights to qualify for Silver.
Daniel Miller said Marriott renewed his top tier status after zero nights at a Marriott property, albeit it appeared to happen in a previous year.
And even if you were only Gold in 2017, some of those elites also seem to be getting an extension of their benefits.
To qualify for Marriott Platinum, you must normally stay 75 qualifying nights, and as Nick noted above, Marriott discontinued its status buy back program for 2018. So it’s great that the chain is being generous and extending some of its elites through 2018 — a big win for those with Platinum status since we value it at $3,760. Even better, Marriott elites can still status match to SPG and receive elite benefits with that chain as well since it’s part of Marriott too.
And if you didn’t receive a notification from Marriott about a status extension or upgrade, there’s still hope. Some readers followed one of TPG’s rules — it never hurts to ask — and it paid off!
Featured image of Marriott’s Phuket Beach Club by Marriott.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees