See a Jet Airways Flight Attendant Being Caught Smuggling $500,000
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It has not been a good week for Jet Airways. After an onboard fight between captains that led to the cockpit being unattended, the Indian airline is finding itself in more hot water.
A video has emerged showing a Jet Airways flight attendant attempting to smuggle a briefcase full of cash on a recent flight.
The incident occurred on Jet Airways flight 78 from Delhi (DEL) to Hong Kong (HKG) on January 8, according to the Straits Times. Devshi Kulshreshtha was found with nearly $500,000 in her suitcase, and video shows the discovery of the cash.
Kulshreshtha, 25, had the cash wrapped in tinfoil and buried under shoes and cosmetics. A distraught Kulshreshtha can be seen as officials unwrap wad after wad of $50 and $100 US bills. The greenbacks were wrapped in tin foil order to thwart the airport security’s x-ray machines.
Agents from India’s Directorate of Revenue Intelligence had been tipped off about the smuggling and arrested Kulshreshtha after the discovery was made.
The flight attendant was allegedly working as part of a large money smuggling ring run by an Indian man named Amit Malhotra. Malhotra had reportedly convinced Kulshreshtha to work for him after the two met on a flight six months ago. Malhotra ran a scheme where he’d smuggle out cash from Indian bullion dealers via airline employees, purchase gold abroad, and then smuggle the gold back into India.
The BBC also reports that officials said there may be more arrests of Jet Airways staff who are part of the same operation.
The four hour and 19 minute flight appeared to go smoothly and was operated by a Boeing 777-300ER according to FlightAware.
This isn’t the first time an airline employee was caught smuggling contraband — in 2016 a JetBlue flight attendant attempted to bring 70 pounds of cocaine through security and in 2014 a Delta baggage handler was arrested for smuggling firearms on flights headed to New York City.
Featured image courtesy of The News Doctrine / YouTube.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees