Jet Airways 777 Is Temporarily Left Without Pilots During Fight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Two Jet Airways pilots put the their passengers and the plane at risk when they reportedly left the cabin unattended mid-flight, after a physical altercation.
According to reports, a male pilot of a Jet Airways Boeing 777 slapped a female colleague during an argument. After the assault, the woman left the cockpit in tears. While she was being consoled by the flight crew, the other pilot left the cockpit as well, apparently leaving the flight controls unattended.
The Times of India quoted unnamed sources who described the incident:
“Shortly after the plane took off, the two pilots had a fight. The co-pilot slapped the lady commander and she left the cockpit in tears. She stood in the galley sobbing. The cabin crew tried to comfort her and send her back to the cockpit, but in vain. The co-pilot also kept buzzing (calling from the intercom in the cockpit) the crew, asking them to send the second pilot back.”
It isn’t clear which one of the two was the captain and who was first officer, or if they were both captains, therefore equal in rank.
After the cabin crew could not convince the pilot to return to her post, the co-pilot came out and tried to convince her to return to the controls, and at that point there was reportedly no one in the cockpit. Eventually both returned to their duty’s of flying the aircraft.
The Indian airline confirmed the incident did occur and has grounded the two pilots — it’s investigating the incident, which occurred on a London (LHR) to Mumbai (BOM) on January 1st. The flight, 9W119, departed on time, landed safely and followed a normal flight path according to FlightRadar24.
324 passengers were onboard the 777-300ER meaning the aircraft was almost at full capacity — according to SeatGuru the plane can hold 346 people. While the cockpit was unattended briefly, modern jet aircraft, including the Boeing 777, typically operate on autopilot while at cruising altitude, but the presence of at least one pilot in the cockpit is required for safety reasons.
Jet Airways issued a statement to The Times of India:
“A misunderstanding occurred between the cockpit crew of Jet Airways flight 9W 119, London – Mumbai of January 01, 2018. However, the same was quickly resolved amicably and the flight with 324 guests including 2 infants and 14 crew continued its journey to Mumbai, landing safely. The airline has reported the incident to the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) and the concerned crew have been derostered pending an internal investigation that has since been initiated. At Jet Airways, safety of guests, crew and assets is of paramount importance and the airline has zero tolerance for any action of its employees that compromises safety.”‘
India’s Directorate General of Civil Aviation suspended the male pilot’s flying license and is also investigating the incident.
Featured image by Artur Widak / NurPhoto / Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees