This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
IHG made changes to its terms and conditions on Wednesday, completely changing its Best Rate Guaranteed policy. According to the new policy, guests who successfully submit a Best Rate Guarantee claim will now get a varying number of IHG points in return rather than a free first night.
The hotel chain quietly made the change to its terms and conditions. Here’s how the page on IHG’s site now defines the reward for a Best Rate Guaranteed claim:
“Under the Program (as further described below), if you book a hotel room at an IHG branded hotel using any IHG direct channel (such as branded website, call center or the mobile app), and within 24 hours of making your reservation you find a lower rate online for the same hotel room, number of guests, and reservation dates, and submit a qualified guarantee claim form, we’ll match the lower rate and give you 5X the IHG Rewards Club points, up to a 40,000-point maximum, for the room rate for that hotel stay.”
Previously, IHG’s Best Rate Guarantee policy rewarded members who successfully submitted a claim the first night of your stay for free. Therefore, if you were only staying one night, you’d get your entire stay for free. Now, however, the chain will reward you in the form of IHG points to be used on future redemptions. So, if you earn 10 points per dollar spent on and IHG gives you 5x points on the new rate, you’d earn an extra 40 points per dollar spent — for a maximum of $1,000 spent. TPG values IHG points at 0.7 cents apiece in our most recent valuations, so you’re getting about a 28% rebate back in the form of points.
This isn’t a huge devaluation, as most Best Rate Guaranteed claims end up not being approved. The process to submit a claim and have it be approved is tedious — check out IHG’s full terms and conditions on the policy for exact details on what you’ll need.
Featured image of InterContinental Hong Kong.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees