Gunmen Attack Intercontinental Hotel in Kabul, Afghanistan
The Hotel Intercontinental Kabul, a five star hotel in the capital of Afghanistan, was under attack by gunmen on Saturday, according to officials of the country’s government. The BBC reported that two attackers had been killed but at least two others remained in the building.
The attack began at approximately 9pm local time (11:30am Eastern) when the attackers stormed the hotel and began shooting at guests. An Afghan special forces commander told CNN that the the attackers had been in the hotel kitchen, then moved to the fourth floor.
Just this past Thursday, the US State Department issued a security alert on social media indicating that extremists “may be planning an attack against hotels in Kabul.” The warning advised travelers to keep a low profile and stay alert in locations frequented by tourists.
Despite its similar name, the Hotel Intercontinental Kabul is not part of the Intercontinental Hotel Group (IHG), though it was originally developed and opened by the hotel chain. It became a government-owned property after the Soviet invasion in 1969 and continues to use the Intercontinental name despite having no connection to the parent company.
The hotel was previously attacked by the Taliban in 2011 — 21 people were killed in that incident, including nine attackers.
This story will be updated as more information becomes available.
Featured image by Casimiri via Wikimedia.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees