This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Hotel Intercontinental Kabul, a five star hotel in the capital of Afghanistan, was under attack by gunmen on Saturday, according to officials of the country’s government. The BBC reported that two attackers had been killed but at least two others remained in the building.
The attack began at approximately 9pm local time (11:30am Eastern) when the attackers stormed the hotel and began shooting at guests. An Afghan special forces commander told CNN that the the attackers had been in the hotel kitchen, then moved to the fourth floor.
Just this past Thursday, the US State Department issued a security alert on social media indicating that extremists “may be planning an attack against hotels in Kabul.” The warning advised travelers to keep a low profile and stay alert in locations frequented by tourists.
Despite its similar name, the Hotel Intercontinental Kabul is not part of the Intercontinental Hotel Group (IHG), though it was originally developed and opened by the hotel chain. It became a government-owned property after the Soviet invasion in 1969 and continues to use the Intercontinental name despite having no connection to the parent company.
The hotel was previously attacked by the Taliban in 2011 — 21 people were killed in that incident, including nine attackers.
This story will be updated as more information becomes available.
Featured image by Casimiri via Wikimedia.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees