Flight Filled With Plumbers Diverts Due to… a Plumbing Issue
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
How many plumbers does it take to fix an airplane bathroom at 33,000 feet? No, that’s not the start of a bad joke (or maybe it is?). It’s a real-life situation that a Norwegian Air flight faced Saturday when a flight from Oslo (OSL) to Munich (MUC) with at least 60 plumbers on board experienced a problem seemingly well-suited for those passengers.
Less than 15 minutes into Norwegian Air flight 1156, the aircraft developed a plumbing issue. Coincidentally enough, on board the flight were around 85 employees of plumbing company Rørkjøp, including “60-70 plumbers.” They sprung into action, but the problem couldn’t be resolved — at least at altitude. Company CEO Frank Olsen explains:
We would have liked to fix the restrooms, but unfortunately it had to be done from the outside and we did not take the opportunity to send a plumber in line at 10,000 meters.
Since the issue couldn’t be fixed, the seven-year old Boeing 737-800 had to divert back to Oslo (OSL). While we have seen our share of “flights to nowhere” recently, this one may be the most ironic of them all.
Photo by Swell Media/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.