Family Bumped From Their Southwest Flight to Disneyland Because of Lice Allegations
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A family of four was bumped from their Southwest flight to Santa Ana on Friday after several other passengers accused one of their children of having lice. The Newmans were traveling on Southwest Flight 1652 from Chicago (MDW) to Santa Ana (SNA) and on to Oakland (OAK) for a family trip to Disneyland when accusations from other passengers got them bumped from their flight.
The Chicago family, with two daughters aged 4 and 6, were waiting in the gate area for their flight when J Newman’s wife noticed something on her daughter.
“There was some dry skin in my daughter’s hair,” J Newman — identified only with the initial — said to NBC Chicago. “So, she was just kind of taking it out of my daughter’s hair.”
About 30 minutes later, a Southwest gate agent approached the family. The agent told the family that customers had complained that after seeing the mother inspect her daughter’s hair, suspecting the daughter had lice. Although there was no confirmation the daughter actually had lice, the agent bumped the family from the flight.
According to Southwest, more than 10 customers approached employees “… about a fellow passenger in the gate area exhibiting behavior consistent with a highly contagious condition. Our employees are obligated to look into concerns that are raised by multiple customers and based on a conversation our employees had with the family before boarding the flight, we determined it would be best to rebook their travel for the following day.”
But the accusation and the bump left the Newmans scratching their heads — in a different way.
“We don’t even have lice,” J Newman said. “That’s the crazy thing. Our daughter doesn’t even have lice. So, why they would do this to us, I have no idea.”
Following the incident, the family said that Southwest offered to rebook them on a flight two days later, and it hadn’t compensated them for losses. The Newmans also said they believed they could have been bumped to accommodate standby passengers, as the flight was five hours delayed, but Southwest denies that claim. In April 2017, the carrier announced plans to discontinue overbookings.
On Tuesday, however, Southwest said that it has refunded the family the cost of their tickets. In addition, Southwest said that the family was reaccommodated.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees