This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta has announced a positive change for its top elite members, and will be increasing the flexibility of upgrade certificates. Now, Delta Diamond Medallions and Platinum Medallions may use their upgrade certificates on Pay with Miles tickets and SkyMiles Companion Certificates. Before, upgrade certificates were only available for use on regular paid tickets.
Delta announced the change Monday, and implemented it immediately. Upgrade certificates are available as one of Delta’s Choice Benefits, which allows Delta elites to choose from a handful of benefits once they attain Platinum or Diamond status.
Unfortunately, you still can’t use upgrade certificates on award flights, but Pay with Miles allows you to use SkyMiles at the rate of 1 cent per dollar to cover the cost of the ticket. SkyMiles Companion Certificates are available through two of Delta’s Amex cards, the Delta Reserve® Credit Card from American Express and the Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express.
The airline is also allowing upgrade certificates to be used on companions, without having to use one on yourself. Here are the details on how changes work, according to Delta:
“Additionally, Certificate owners can now use an Upgrade Certificate on a companion without having to use one for themselves. So when two SkyMiles Members (one of which has Upgrade Certificates in their account) are traveling together on the same flight—whether in the same reservation or a linked reservation—an Upgrade Certificate can now be used for just one Member*. For example:
Previously, if a Member was flying to Europe for business in Delta One, and had a companion traveling on the same flight, he/she would not have been able to use an Upgrade Certificate to upgrade the companion to Delta One.
Now, in the same scenario, the Member will be able to use one Upgrade Certificate to upgrade his/her companion to Delta One as long as the companion is a SkyMiles Member.”
American and United already offer the ability to use upgrades for other travelers, even if the passenger wasn’t traveling with the holder of the upgrades.
H/T: René’s Points
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
- Earn 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) and 40,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 2 miles per dollar spent on purchases made directly with Delta. Earn 1 mile for every eligible dollar spent on purchases.
- Enjoy in-flight savings in the form of a statement credit after you use your Delta Reserve Credit Card to make an eligible purchase, on board your next Delta flight.
- Enter Delta Sky Club® at no cost and bring up to two guests for an exclusive rate of $29 per person per visit.
- Receive Main Cabin 1 Priority boarding on Delta flights; board early, stow your carry-on bag and settle in sooner.
- Check your first bag free on Delta flights – that's a savings of up to $240 per round trip for a family of four.
- $450 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees