Delta Makes Positive Changes to Upgrade Certificates
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Delta has announced a positive change for its top elite members, and will be increasing the flexibility of upgrade certificates. Now, Delta Diamond Medallions and Platinum Medallions may use their upgrade certificates on Pay with Miles tickets and SkyMiles Companion Certificates. Before, upgrade certificates were only available for use on regular paid tickets.
Delta announced the change Monday, and implemented it immediately. Upgrade certificates are available as one of Delta’s Choice Benefits, which allows Delta elites to choose from a handful of benefits once they attain Platinum or Diamond status.
Unfortunately, you still can’t use upgrade certificates on award flights, but Pay with Miles allows you to use SkyMiles at the rate of 1 cent per dollar to cover the cost of the ticket. SkyMiles Companion Certificates are available through two of Delta’s Amex cards, the Delta Reserve® Credit Card from American Express and the Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express.
The airline is also allowing upgrade certificates to be used on companions, without having to use one on yourself. Here are the details on how changes work, according to Delta:
“Additionally, Certificate owners can now use an Upgrade Certificate on a companion without having to use one for themselves. So when two SkyMiles Members (one of which has Upgrade Certificates in their account) are traveling together on the same flight—whether in the same reservation or a linked reservation—an Upgrade Certificate can now be used for just one Member*. For example:
Previously, if a Member was flying to Europe for business in Delta One, and had a companion traveling on the same flight, he/she would not have been able to use an Upgrade Certificate to upgrade the companion to Delta One.
Now, in the same scenario, the Member will be able to use one Upgrade Certificate to upgrade his/her companion to Delta One as long as the companion is a SkyMiles Member.”
American and United already offer the ability to use upgrades for other travelers, even if the passenger wasn’t traveling with the holder of the upgrades.
H/T: René’s Points
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.