This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Flights from all over the US to Hong Kong are on sale, with prices starting at just $478 round-trip. You can get to one of the hottest cities in Asia from all over the US, including Chicago (ORD), Cleveland (CLE), Dallas (DFW), Denver (DEN), Houston (IAH), Los Angeles (LAX), Miami (MIA), New York (JFK), Newark (EWR) and San Francisco (SFO). Availability is pretty widespread with departures available from January through May (although March dates seem to be blacked out from most cities). A majority of flights are operated by American Airlines, although we did see some cheap fares on Cathay Pacific as well as Hong Kong Airlines.
Airline: American, Cathay Pacific, Hong Kong Airlines and United
Routes: JFK/EWR/LAX/SFO/DFW/IAH/DEN/ORD to HKG
Cost: $478+ round-trip in economy
Dates: January to May
Booking Link: Expedia, Priceline or with the airline directly
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Chicago (ORD) to Hong Kong (HKG) for $478 round-trip on American:
San Francisco (SFO) to Hong Kong (HKG) for $483 round-trip on American:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Hong Kong (HKG) for $487 nonstop round-trip on Hong Kong Airlines via Priceline:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Hong Kong (HKG) for $508 nonstop round-trip on Cathay Pacific via Priceline:
Newark (EWR) to Hong Kong (HKG) for $483 round-trip on American:
Dallas (DFW) to Hong Kong (HKG) for $483 round-trip on United:
Cleveland (CLE) to Hong Kong (HKG) for $483 round-trip on American:
Houston (IAH) to Hong Kong (HKG) for $483 round-trip on American:
Denver (DEN) to Hong Kong (HKG) for $488 round-trip on American:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express Premier Rewards Gold or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
H/T: The Flight Deal
Featured image by @WR36 via Twenty20.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Up to $200 for Uber rides annually. Credit and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on eligible hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- As a Platinum Card Member, you can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That's up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees