Deal Alert: Transcon Flights From $197 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
We’re seeing low fares for transcontinental flights from many East Coast cities, with prices starting from just $197 round-trip. What’s great about this sale is that you can largely have your pick of airline — Alaska/Virgin America, American, Delta, JetBlue and United are all offering cheap tickets.
You can fly from Baltimore (BWI), Boston (BOS), Miami (MIA), New York (JFK) and Newark (EWR) to West Coast cities like Los Angeles (LAX), Portland (PDX), San Francisco (SFO) and Seattle (SEA). Most fares are available from January through March, although we’re seeing availability on certain routes through June.
Note that American, Delta and United’s fares are in basic economy so you won’t be able to bring a carry on or choose your seat without paying extra fees. Fortunately Alaska/Virgin America and JetBlue still allow for free carry-ons and seat selection. If you’re an airline co-brand cardholder, you can get around some of basic economy’s restrictions that way.
To book, head to Google Flights and plug in your desired departure and destination, then book with the airline of your choice.
Airline: Alaska, American, Delta, JetBlue, United and Virgin America
Routes: BOS/BWI/EWR/JFK/MIA to LAX/PDX/SFO/SEA
Cost: $197+ round-trip in economy
Dates: January to June 2018
Booking Link: Expedia, Priceline or with the airline directly
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Boston (BOS) to Seattle (SEA) for $197 round-trip on JetBlue:
New York (JFK) to San Francisco (SFO) for $214 round-trip on American in basic economy:
Boston (BOS) to Los Angeles (LAX) for $217 round-trip on Alaska/Virgin America:
New York (JFK) to San Francisco (SFO) for $227 round-trip on Alaska/Virgin America:
New York (JFK) to San Francisco (SFO) for $227 round-trip on United in basic economy:
New York (JFK) to San Francisco (SFO) for $227 round-trip on Delta in basic economy:
Miami (MIA) to Los Angeles (LAX) for $229 round-trip on American in basic economy:
New York (JFK) to Portland (PDX) for $237 round-trip on Alaska:
Baltimore (BWI) to Los Angeles (LAX) for $237 round-trip on Alaska:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by Chris McGrath / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 75,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,500
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber savings annually (only for use in the U.S.)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 75,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 10x points on eligible purchases on your new Card at U.S. Gas Stations and U.S. Supermarkets, on up to $15,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership. That’s an additional 9 points on top of the 1 point you earn for these purchases.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member and Additional Centurion Cards only.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel. Starting January 1, 2021, earn 5X points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- Enjoy complimentary access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits through American Express Travel with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts® program at over 1,100 properties. Learn More.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That’s up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees