Deal Alert: Transcon Flights From $197 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
We’re seeing low fares for transcontinental flights from many East Coast cities, with prices starting from just $197 round-trip. What’s great about this sale is that you can largely have your pick of airline — Alaska/Virgin America, American, Delta, JetBlue and United are all offering cheap tickets.
You can fly from Baltimore (BWI), Boston (BOS), Miami (MIA), New York (JFK) and Newark (EWR) to West Coast cities like Los Angeles (LAX), Portland (PDX), San Francisco (SFO) and Seattle (SEA). Most fares are available from January through March, although we’re seeing availability on certain routes through June.
Note that American, Delta and United’s fares are in basic economy so you won’t be able to bring a carry on or choose your seat without paying extra fees. Fortunately Alaska/Virgin America and JetBlue still allow for free carry-ons and seat selection. If you’re an airline co-brand cardholder, you can get around some of basic economy’s restrictions that way.
To book, head to Google Flights and plug in your desired departure and destination, then book with the airline of your choice.
Airline: Alaska, American, Delta, JetBlue, United and Virgin America
Routes: BOS/BWI/EWR/JFK/MIA to LAX/PDX/SFO/SEA
Cost: $197+ round-trip in economy
Dates: January to June 2018
Booking Link: Expedia, Priceline or with the airline directly
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Boston (BOS) to Seattle (SEA) for $197 round-trip on JetBlue:
New York (JFK) to San Francisco (SFO) for $214 round-trip on American in basic economy:
Boston (BOS) to Los Angeles (LAX) for $217 round-trip on Alaska/Virgin America:
New York (JFK) to San Francisco (SFO) for $227 round-trip on Alaska/Virgin America:
New York (JFK) to San Francisco (SFO) for $227 round-trip on United in basic economy:
New York (JFK) to San Francisco (SFO) for $227 round-trip on Delta in basic economy:
Miami (MIA) to Los Angeles (LAX) for $229 round-trip on American in basic economy:
New York (JFK) to Portland (PDX) for $237 round-trip on Alaska:
Baltimore (BWI) to Los Angeles (LAX) for $237 round-trip on Alaska:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by Chris McGrath / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber Cash annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership. Apply and select your preferred metal Card design: classic Platinum Card®, Platinum x Kehinde Wiley, or Platinum x Julie Mehretu.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year and earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- Get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings, which requires a minimum two-night stay, through American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®. And if you fly, you can receive up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year after you select a qualifying airline and incidental fees are charged by the airline to your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 back each month on eligible purchases made with your Platinum Card® on one or more of the following: Audible, Disney+, The Disney Bundle, ESPN+, Hulu, Peacock, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- $155 Walmart+ Credit: Cover the cost of a $12.95 monthly Walmart+ membership with a statement credit after you pay for Walmart+ each month with your Platinum Card. Cost includes $12.95 plus applicable local sales tax. Plus Ups are excluded.
- American Express has expanded The Centurion® Network to include 40+ Centurion Lounge and Studio locations worldwide. There are even more places your Platinum Card® can get you complimentary entry and exclusive perks.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one select qualifying airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member only.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $25 back each month on the Equinox+ digital fitness app, or eligible Equinox club memberships when you pay with your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $189 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $189 back per year on your CLEAR® membership. CLEAR® is available at select airports and stadiums.
- $695 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees